Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay so i have a question about SSi

my daughter was born on June 27th and i got SSi for her because she has downs and she has been in the hospital for 6 months she just got out and i had to move to a diffrent district and when i was reciveing SSi i only got $30.00 a month intill she got out but now that i moved i have to wait for the new district to aprrove me and i never recived the large lump sum of all the months she was in the hospital my question is do i still get that even tho i changed districts

Answer Question

Asked by Mrs.NewMommy303 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (1)
  • What do you mean by "changed districts"? There are no districts for SSI. SSI is a federal program and the rules are the same no matter where you live, with the exception of how your payments are determined because the standard of living varies from state to state. With SSI, either your child will qualify based on income & diagnosis (must qualify based on both) or your child won't - where you live should have nothing to do with how you will receive your payments. So, if you properly filled out all of the paperwork & notified the SSI office of your change of address, then your child's SSI payments should follow you, including the lump sum payment from the time she was in the hospital. Go to the SSA website & read over the SSI section pertaining to children w/disabilities or call the national line or your local SSA office to obtain clarification of the rules for your state.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.