What do I do when my baby hits, bites, pulles hair of other kids and adults?

I am a "step-mom" but Ive been there since she was one. My baby now lives with me, her dad, my sister, and my sisters 3 kids. but she used to live with her mom who is violent and neglected the baby. she came back from her moms house acting somewhat violent to the other kids in my home, but wasnt like that before. she pulls hair, bites, hits, pushes her head and other babys head into wall multiple times!!!??? Right now my thoughts are 1 light spank on bottom over diaper, 1-2 minute time out in her baby room, telling her be nice and showing her an example of that.... what do you think? what would you do? how do I teach her effectively without hurting her? keep in mind plz she is ONE YR AND FIVE MO OLD. comments greatly appreciated.

Mommyof1girl18

Asked by Mommyof1girl18 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm having the SAME problem but I never hit my child and neither SO or I are like that. I have scars on my chest cuz he cuts me when he pinches, IT HURTS. I immediately put him down if he's in my arms and say that hurts mommy and make no eye contact. This is for like 1-2 min then I come back and say we touch gently. I do it to him and he'll do it to me where he caresses my hand. I started doing this consistently and in the beginning he would laugh. Now he knows I'm ignoring him and he tries to get my attention. I just have to be consistent! that's the key!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Its pretty normal for a toddler to do those things. My youngest (1) was doing that for a while, but we stopped it by popping his hands with a ruler and telling him "that's not nice". He doesnt do it anymore. Spanking won't kill or destroy a child. If your kid is older then I suggest the hand pop AND time out.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• well, sounds like she needs to NOT see her mom, i know that might not be possible but that will also mean you by all means, should not spank her - she needs one place she won't be getting hit - even tapped. she needs to be told no, over and over, take her hands and put them down and get down to her level. when she does this to other kids, same thing. it might take over and over but sounds like her mom is not going to teach her to be nice, so you NEED to.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2009