Weevils??? Eeew! Help!

So it seems like every time I buy a pasta or flour it's immediately infected with weevils. Disgusting, and a waste of food. I've gone through the pantry and wiped everything down with bleachy water, but does anyone else have tips to keep these away? Does putting everything in tupperwares work?

For some reason I thought weevils were already in the stuff you buy, they hatch later, but it's too much of a coincidence that almost everything I buy gets them :( BTW I put this in just for fun because more people look there.

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 2:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Depends where you're shopping - if you ALWAYS shop at one store, change it up - go elsewhere and see if it still happens. I've only had it happen one time, and it was a box of muffin mix, and nothing else around that mix had anything in it, for as long as we lived in that house. I've had bugs in one box of stuff as long as we've lived in this house, and didn't do anything but throw that one box out, and we haven't had any more problems.
    Anonymous

• Hmm, I just read that the weevils come inside the packaging. I think I might have to switch where I shop, as I do shop at only one store.

I also read that everyone at some point in their life has eaten weevil. Disgusting!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It is said that the worms are already in the products you buy, but I have only had a problem once. It actually started with some hot dog buns on top of the fridge that we forgot about. We were totally infested by the time we noticed them. We threw everything out.

To get rid of them or prevent them put the product in the freezer for 4 days and store them in some sort of air tight container Tupperware or ziplock type bag. Good luck.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 2:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Step 1 - throw out EVERYTHING in your cupboards/pantry that can potentially be infested - cake mix, flour, pasta, all of it. Pretty much if it's in a box, it goes. Your re-infestation is probably coming from something you have that you haven't discovered yet, because once they're hatched you have to do a full purge to get rid of them. Clear out everything else that's well sealed (jars/cans). Scrub the shelves down with diluted bleach.

Step 2 - from now on, any dry goods you buy, put them in the freezer for 48 hrs before you move them to the pantry (everything - flour, sugar, cake mix, rice a roni, all of it). If you do that, you will never get infested again.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

Something you don't want to think about, it doesn't matter what store you go to. When they say it comes inside the packaging they mean it's in the actual flour, not crawling inside at the store.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2009