Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to handle a debt collection agency?

I made several car payments in one lump sum for my brother since he fell behind. My credit card statement shows that the payment posted a week ago. But I'm being told that they haven't got the payment yet. They want me to send a copy of my statement proving it posted. They refused to do a 3-way call with the cc company. And they wont speak to any one in the collections dept about it. They're going by what's on their screne. Other than giving them a copy of my cc statement what can I do? Thanks


Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • thats really the only thing you can do. they need proof that it was taken out.

    Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

  • Do they have permission to talk to you? Legally, they aren't allowed to give you any information unless your brother has told them it's ok. Make sure he's given them permission, then send them a copy of the statement, but make sure it does not show anything personal in its entirety (credit card number, ss#, etc) black out everything but the last 4 digits. If it's local, deliver it in person - make sure you have your brother's name and acct number.

    99% of the time, they received payment and posted it to the wrong acct.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 4:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

  • we did a 3 way to do the lump sum payment and he gave them permission then to speak to me. So they have it on file. Blacking out the information is fine. I just don't like the idea of them having the personal information and account information handy. My understanding was that it was one time and they would not keep the information. But with having my statement, I'm afraid that they will bill me again for his missed payments. I can't have that, I have my own bill to pay for.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009