HOW DO YOU KEEP A COMMON COLD AWAY FROM A 2YEAR OLD IN DAY CARE? MY CHILD ALSO WAS RECENTLY DIAGNOSIS WITH ASTHMA AND WE HAVE BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL TWICE THIS YEAR WITH RSV AND WE DON'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN AGAIN PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE WONDERFUL?

kellysavmom

Asked by kellysavmom at 2:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Any chance you can stay home until she is older.
    Any chance you can get a nanny.

There is no way I know of to keep a child 100% sickness free in a daycare.
    Anonymous

• Lots and lots of handwashing. Talk to your DCP about your concerns to make sure your child's hands are washed before meals, after diaper changes, being outdoors, or around other sick children.

Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My son got RSV. I hate that virus. I heard that it can stick to clothes for a month so no matter how much you try to protect her at daycare, she'll get sick.

This is what a respiratory therapist does with her kids, washes hands OFTEN, and cleans their nostrils at night. Dip a cotton swab in warm salt water and clean the inside.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Your child doesn't belong in day care. If you can't stay home you need to find someone to come to your home to care for her. Her life is in danger. You may have to do whatever it takes to quit your job and stay home and take care of her.

People with kids that have serious illnesses sometimes have to make huge sacrifices. Because she has asthma she probably qualifies for the Children With Special Healthcare Needs program in your state. The income guidelines are pretty high. They pick up expenses not covered by insurance and asthma is a qualifying diagnosis.

I have 3 children and they have asthma and immune deficiencies. They weren't able to go to school because of the risk of illness. I was a single mom and of course I couldn't work.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• A (refrigerated) probiotic twice a day
    Echineacea daily (three weeks on, one week off)
    Elderberry syrup at the first hint of a virus
    Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat, dairy, simple grains like white flour and white rice.
    Build your meals around fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Send me a message offlist if you would like recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Don't listen to Gaill... she thinks the way she raised her kids is the ONLY way -
    Anonymous

• There's not a lot you can do. Rest assured though, your child will get less sick the longer (s)he is in day care. As his/her immune system builds, it'll get better. Until then, start with little things. Reinforce the idea of hand washing. It will take a while for this too before he's good at washing his hands well enough to kill the germs. Encourage him to keep toys and hands out of his mouth. This may take a while if he's still in that habbit (my 2 1/2 always has something in her mouth!!). Give vitamins and feed healthy, immu building/supporting foods. Speak with the day care about their cleaning practices. Do they have the kids wash their hands or do they help them scurb well? If not, ask why and encourage them to do so. Also, ask the doc about allergies. Allergies can cause inflamation of the sinuses which means the colds can be worse from poor drainage. My daughter is on clartin for that. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• Odd Gail. Asthma runs in my family and while those that have it have had (minimal) life threatening attacks, they were able to go to school, preschool, college, etc. with little to no impact on their overall health. Yes, serious cases very likely will require extreme measures to tend to the child. But an average case will most see a normal life.
    Anonymous