Do you think our society is set up more for one income families or two income families?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I suppose that partly depends on where you live, and how much you make. I know for us, living in the San Francisco Bay Area, it's DEFINITELY set up for two income families. Even though daycare costs and arm and a leg too, but still... there's no way we could survive on just one income...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think that to 'keep up with the Jones's' you have to have two incomes. If people led a simpler life and didn't need the coolest car/phone/tv/house etc then one income would work. Then again, women are under pressure to work and not feel like being at home is enough for them. Some women want to feel like they are more than a child-rearer/cook/maid.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think it depends on how you set your own family up. If you buy a house where you need both incomes to pay the mortgage, then two. If you buy brand new expensive cars, then two. If you must have brand new, name brand clothes, then two. If you need cable, the best cell phone, really fast internet, then two. Granted you could have a few of these on one income but I believe it mainly comes down to your choices. We have an older house, older cars that are paid off, basic cable, internet, cell phone plan, I cut coupons and we still have money for extras on one income and my dh does not make a lot but it does work for us.
    Anonymous

• One, but people insist on buying more and more stuff so they depend on two. Most families could get by just fine on one by living within their means, and some that are struggling on two right now would be better off if one stayed home and they quit paying for daycare.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Prettyrayray, I have to disagree with you. The fact that we both have to work has nothing to do with keeping up with the Jones'. Just the mortgage alone in our area requires us both to work, not even taking into account the basics like gas, electricity, water, cars, etc. Both our cars are NOT new, we are not spending anything on frivolous things, yet we still NEED both incomes.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• This society and many others are set up for two income households ... with both having mutliple jobs. LOL..

it shouldnt' be this way.. i'm all for husband goes out to work, mommy stays home...

however, greed and consumerism.. have made that nearly impossible.. and societal view that most mommies who stay home are just lazy..(which i can attest to NOT BEING TRUE)
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 2:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think it depends on the individual family. We are a middle class family. Both college educated.  We have lived in DC, Va Beach, ~on one income. Phoenix and Nashville on 2 incomes. We could have easily done Phoenix and Nashville on one income, but wanted to save $ before we had children.  It's about Personal choices, responsibility and the individual earners. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Anouck, I see you are in SF. We're in Fresno, and to have a lot of extras you need two incomes here :) And I know my share of those that are barely making on 2 incomes just to have everything!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• it shouldnt' be this way.. i'm all for husband goes out to work, mommy stays home... however, greed and consumerism.. have made that nearly impossible.. and societal view that most mommies who stay home are just lazy..(which i can attest to NOT BEING TRUE) 

What about mom's that choose to work because they want to work? Like me! We are not greedy by any means and we actually live on just my husband's income and mine goes into savings for emergencies,etc.  I just love working and having my career which I have worked incredible hard for. 

Anonymous

• I started my own business in Ohio and I couldn't NOT have had the wonderful opportunity to do so without my hubby's income as the primary bill payer.... After a few years, I am almost to the point where he could retire from the military and I become the 'bread wnner' !!!!! lol.. But I think we would need to move to a larger city and neither one of us want to give up that quality of life we have in middle sized town USA.. :o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009