Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a dad get child support with owing mother $6,000 in arrears, teenage son at 15 went to live with his father?

Answer Question

Asked by KBailey713 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Yes. My x tried to pull that bs when my son was 15. He didn't want the child. He just wanted out of paying child support. Check with your child support agency to find out if it holds true in your state. Each state is different.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

  • i doubt it, if they do make you pay.. then their stupid lol

    Answer by Jessica1991 at 2:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

  • If he owes he needs to pay all of that back then he can get CS from you bcause he has the child FT. Like admckenzie said every state is different so check with what your state has in line for situations in your case. GL

    Answer by raemommy at 2:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

  • not until arrears paid in full then he'd have to modify the child support to change it from him paying to you paying.

    Answer by melody77 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

  • Yes. He would still owe your the arrears. Then you would owe him when the child lives with him. OR you can set up a legal document with attorneys and the court that you don't pay any support because he still owes back support. You should really be talking to an attorney though, every state has different laws.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

  • no he has tro pay the arrears first

    Answer by Texan1993 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.