Do you determine the amount of your kid's Xmas gifts/budget, based on behavior?

If so, what are their ages?

I, personally don't. But I know someone who has a 13-year old, a 5 year old, and a 2 year old. Well the teen has been having a few problems lately and so she is not getting her what she really wants for Christmas, but she is for the other 2. She says that the teen is old enough to know better, but of course won't think it's fair because the 5 year old knows to behave also.

So is this fair? Do you do the same?

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 2:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Holidays

• no lol I would never do that but I threaten santa will bring them coal if they don't behave but who don't do that? It never really happens though...my 13yr old girl is behind in school and lied to us about not having homework but she's getting freakin' spoiled this year because I look at all the positive things she's done and she's helped out alot with babysittig her little brothers while I work :) and she helps with the house as well so this mom needs to look at the good things she does not the bad she's still a little girl 13 is a little girl still and she's depending on those gifts as much as the other kids that's insane she's considering dropping her budget on her xmas gifts she needs a serious reality check!
    Anonymous

• NOT FAIR
    Christmas should have nothing to do with behavior. It never did when I was a kid and I never did that with my kids.
    Anonymous

• What a horrible parent. That teen is going to remember what the parents did. It's not going to make the teen behave any better, it will make the teen resent the parents.

If you can, suggest the book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Neither, my girls are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 I shop until I am done I am done with them. I do not have a budget and I do not base it on their behavior, everyone has their good and bad days.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 4:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• even if my kids were horrible, i would forget it all for christmas day ...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 4:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• not fair. I agree glamomomo. No matter what Christmas isn't about punishing your kids. In my house I spend roughly the same amount on each child. They make a list of things they want and we always get at least one on the list. This year they are getting 3 things off the list and some clothes and such. The kids know that while my son may only have gotten two gifts from us those gifts cost close to what his two sisters got. My parents did that too.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• In our house Christmas is a celebration of Christ and presents are a symbol of the wise men bringing baby Jesus gifts. In the story it never said "But you don't get gifts if you act bad" so no we don't punish children on a day they should be celebrating Jesus.
    Anonymous

• No what I do though is basically tell them they aren't getting as much as they are just to see how much they appreciate. They are young so haven't figured this out yet! LOL I tell them they may get 1 or 10 gifts but no matter waht you have to be thankful. We also have a process of them giving their toys away. I do budget and we have cut back this yr but they we will love what they get!
    Anonymous