FARTING

I'm pregnant with my second child, and although this didn't happen with my first delivery...I have this nightmare of going to push and ripping the loudest fart ever. How often does this actually happen? Has it happened to any of you? Do you even care at that point? I've never farted in front of DH before, so right now it seems like it would be awful...but then again, I'm not 10 cm dilated. You can all post anon of course.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You have never passed gas in front of your husband? Are you kidding? You need to relax!!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I'm sure it happens all the time, how could it not? How can you be married and not fart? I do in my sleep!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• OP-I don't really pass gas in front of anyone. I didn't fart pushing dd out...but the thought of blasting the delivery person in the face just seems crazy embarrassing. I'm sure it would seem less traumatic when you've just been through labor...but right now the thought freaks me out.
    Anonymous

• To the first two responders; you are not aware of what happens in your sleep, so the OP likely can't speak to that - however I can agree that I have never passed gas in front of my SO or anyone else for that matter.

Anything that comes out of your 'rear' should do so in the privacy of a bathroom! I do not consider it appropriate to just sit on the couch and let one rip! And I don't consider that uptight either; I consider that having manners.
    Anonymous

• Actually, it's almost impossible - once the baby's moving into the birth canal, that pretty much shuts off the poop-works, including gas. So don't worry about it, it's not likely to happen - 5 babies and I have no inhibitions except farting in church!
    Anonymous

• I farted all the way through all my pregnancies and I just got so used to it, I figured it wouldn't do any good to be embarassed. LOL. I fartd in labor. Who cares!!! Don't worry!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I sharted during labor, no big deal. The nurses said that meant I was pushing right. The staff doesn't get grossed out and your hubby won't either.
    Anonymous

• Instead of feeling like I wanted to pass gas during delivery I felt like I constantly wanted to burp! I was terrified of pooping myself, though, but I didn't have anything to worry about, it didn't happen and I honestly didn't care at the time. I wouldn't want to do it in fron of DH though. Like you, I don't pass gas intentionally around anyone. It's like sneezing, my body can't NOT hold it in, lol!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 3:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Really, just the pressure of the baby pretty much shuts down the hind quarters. Sometimes, very rarely, does a woman have gas or even a bowel movement during delivery. I worried about that but when I was pushing, I didn't care what happened with the exception of the safe delivery of my babies. And TBH, doctors and nurses deal with all kinds of gross stuff. It's not like you'd be doing it on purspose
    Anonymous

• Anon :34 is correct.
    Also, if you should happen to let a loud one rip, just laugh it off.
    :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009