How do I get my son to eat red meat?

My 18 month old son wont eat any form of red meat. I know he need the vitamins and iron from it but he has become a very very picky eatter and only eats peanut butter, fruit, and broccoli. Please help!!!!!

RydersMama08

Asked by RydersMama08 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• all of the things he is eating are GOOD FOR HIM. children do not need meat- period. he is getting more nutrients from what you just described, than any amount of meat could ever provide.

pat yourself on the back for the good things that he does eat, and stop pushing meat. most parents would kill to get their kids to eat veggies, and nuts are a wonderful source of protein. no meat needed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It's normal. My kids are extremely picky. they get better as they get older. My oldest is 14 and now basically eats everything. Don't worry about it. The things he is eating are good.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't force any child to eat red meat if they don't want it. We could learn from him. Just give him vitamins if you are worried.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Most kids that age do not like that kind of meat. Just put a little on his plate every time you eat it. He might just start eatiteventually. Have your tried chicken.

Answer by louise2 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yes hes had chicken and he used to eat it all the time....but now hes sticking to those three things I listed above. He does have his Flinstone vitamin everyday.....I just want to make sure hes getting all the things he needs.
    RydersMama08

Answer by RydersMama08 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I put leftover steak in the fridge. When it is cold I slice it very thin. I end up with a pile of steak kind of the thickness of shaved ham. I put little piles out for my 15 mo grandson to feed himself and he loves it. Much better for him than processed meat.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• No one needs red meat, especially the hormone and pesitcide laden meat that most American eat. My 14 year old has never had red meat and is incredible healthy (and smart and beautiful). Here is a great listing of plant-based iron: www.soystache.com/iron

Answer by rkoloms at 3:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2009