Toddler sleeping and a new baby?

My dd is 14 months and my husband and I are thinking about having another child. DD is not a very good sleeper and I am worried about what would happen when a baby arrives. Did anyone of you have a baby and a toddler that was an awful sleeper? If so, how did it work out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The World Health Organization recommends waiting 3 years before ttc for the health of the mother and the baby. It also solves problems like this.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• ugh... gaill.....
    anyway... my son was an awful sleeper but just turned 2 in Nov. he would scream and fight everynight.. no fail.. it got way better at 19 months when i started talking to him about what exactly he was doing... Max, you are going to sleep in your crib with your favorite animals and when you wake up mommy will be here etc... also with a very good nighttime routine established!! then IF he would fuss, it was only half of the time and not more than 15 minutes which was HUGE for us... then 2 weeks ago we went in hsi room and he lifted his leg as if to climb out of the crib so we made his crib turn into the toddler bed.. I was so scared the whole time but we are on 11 days and ALL good..whew!~ NEVER NEVER would have thought that!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Wow, Gaill, I"m sure yours is going to be picked as the best answer / most useful to this mother. You'll have a full 9 months to get sleeping on track, but I'd work on getting rid of bad habits (i"m sure you have been). New baby throws things off, but for us it wasn't as bad as we had anticipated...
    Anonymous

• My dd is a pain about sleep at times, but with the new baby we made sure that we did the same bedtime routine everynight throughout the pregnancy and after so she knew when she is put to bed that is where she is staying, don't give in and let them out or they will know you are a sucker, she did that to us for a little while. Just be consistent and get a noise machine that plays water sounds that will help the toddler sleep and drown out the sounds of the new baby. Good luck, and have a second baby when you want not when the WHO says so....
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I personally co-slept with my toddler until I was probably 6 months pregnant, made a make-shift bed for him at the foot of ours out of couch seats, put a blanket on top and after a week or two, he was sleeping in his bed until the early morning, after daddy left for work. The problem is, new babies mean big change, so he might regress into trying to sleep in bed with mommy. But, right now you have the time to get him comfortable in his bed and then get ready for another.
    trilliana

Answer by trilliana at 1:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2010