If someone who you didn't intending on giving a present to this year got you one, do you go out and buy them one too?

I just don't have the money to buy everyone I want to a gift. One of my friends recently came by and gave both me and my DS a present. Should I got out and buy her and her two kids something?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 3:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I never expect a gift back from a friend if I surprise them with a gift. I agree with the nice note and kid colored pictures from your kids. You could also invite her over for lunch or make her a meal that all she has to do it heat and eat. Both of those are wonderful and inexpensive gifts.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Maybe you can just write them a heartfelt note thanking them for the gift and for their friendship.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yes you should. You do not have to spend a lot.

Answer by louise2 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I try to keep extra smaller gifts on hand just for this situation.
    Shopsha0911

Answer by Shopsha0911 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would if I could at all swing it financially. Even something small and with a thoughtful note.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• No, not at all! If you WANT to and CAN w/o damaging your finances, then go for it. But if she's a true friend, then a thank you note will be just fine. People need to remember that gifts are NOT obligatory!
    Anonymous

• I usually TRY to return the gifts I am given...even if it means rushing out to Wal-Mart or the dollar store and buying something for a few bucks. BUT...when I have really been too broke to be able to do that a couple of years ago...nobody ever got pissed or didn't understand. It's the thought that counts, and I would do something like make them dinner or something like that to show that I cared about the friendship and them without having to spend extra dough.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We always keep what we call throw down gifts. I don't like to be caught unaware. We have a family kind of gift. This year it's a nice box of chocolates. We can always use it if we don't give it away.
    Anonymous

• By no means do you owe something back. She gave to you because she wanted to not because she was expecting anything in return. Write her a nice note, have the kids draw her some pictures and send it off.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You don't have to feel obligated to give a gift back, but in the case of an unexpected gift to my family, the boys and I will make cookies and candies to pass out. People seem to appreciate the homemade treats and they are relatively inexpensive.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 4:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2009