Emotionally torn cause my 3 yr old is about to start a preschool program to help with speech delay. Any one else that can relate?

I have been home with my three year old son since he was born and I will continue to be a stay at home mom with another baby on the way. My son has had a speech delay for quit some time but a speech patholigist has been coming out to my home to work with him for the past two years now. Hes about to turn three this weekend and they no longer except him and they refered us to a preschool where I would have to leave him 2 1/2 hrs a day 3 or 5 days a week. I also found out that there is another program that he can get into where they still come out to his home but he would be missing out on playing with other kids and all the fun activities they do at the preschool. I just want to do whats best for my baby and my brain tells me to let him be around other children and learn through play versus sitting down with an adult and trying to learn but my heart isnt sure I want to let go of him right now. I have cried really hard over this

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OP... today cause time is running out and if he went to the preschool he would start Jan 4th. Is any one going through this because I feel like Im the only one so emotional over letting go of my baby?
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I used to work with developmentally delayed children and I can tell you that it is very important for him to be around other kids (not saying he isn't, but you didn't mention it specifically)

Don't think of it as a bad thing, think of the few hours you will have to spend one on one with the new baby
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Thank you for replying but people seem to think including my husband that having another child kind of fills that void of my son being gone during the day but in my mind one child doesnt replace the other and Im not saying that to be rude its just that my son and I will always have a huge bond with one another and just cause another child will be here soon doesnt mean that will change the way I feel not being around him all the time, does that make sense? I know eventually he will go to kindergarten all day long but thats two years away and I want this little bit of time spent with him. However I want whats best for him like we all want for our children, Im just having a really hard time dealing with all thees emotions expecially since Im pregnant lol.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I went through the SAME thing with my son, it was hard for me too at first. but honestly that was the best decision i've made for him. He has progressed soo much in soo many ways. He went to school for 3 hours a day 5 days a week. but this yr he started full days. Its opened him up socially also. He talks more, interacts more. its amazing the progression he made in a short amount of time. if you have any other questions about it let me know.
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I know, I think it is a mom thing but the key here is to think: He is going to have a great time playing with his friends, learning and overcoming those speech problems that need to be addressed. It is just a few hours and if the program is appropriate and he enjoys it, you will see the sparkle on his face when he gets back everyday.

I had a horrible experience in the first pre-k private program we placed or son, then we found a perfect match, now my son comes so exited and happy every day he can't wait to go the next morning to see his teacher and friends, that is how you know if it was the right decision. Do what is best for your child not what feels better for you.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• it isn't like he will be gone all day, it is 2 1/2 hours

IDK what to tell you, I had to go back to work when DS was 11 weeks old, so I am long past the seperation anxiety
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Thank you everyone who posted it was very helpful to hear your stories.I atleast want to give the school a try and see if it will actually help him cause thats the most important thing here. There really pushing the 5 days a week but husband and I have decided to start him at 3 days and see how that goes. Who knows he might want to go the whole week and that would make me feel really good too that hes happy. I know he will love being around other kids so I think the pre school is probably the way to go so he can have that interaction that wants and needs.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My son started preschool at age 3 going 3 days a week 2.5 hours a day. He loved it and so did I because as a stay at home mom, I got some free time! He had/has speech problems, he's 6 now and in first grade. He doesn't go to speech therapy though because the speech therapist he tested with said he would eventually grow out of it and to just handle it in a classroom setting. He's gotten a lot better over the years but still has some problems with saying "th" as "f" and sometimes "r" as "w". But he really needed the socialization too.

His first day of preschool he went right in all happy and excited but I on the other hand left in tears. It was hard, I won't lie but you'll get used to it!! Preschool is such a great thing.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 4:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• my 3 yr old is in speech therpy now and he is 3 yr old i take him too this buliding where a women works one on one with him 2 times a week for 30 mins each day i am also keeping a lil boy during day too have him some1 to play with im going to be looking into more help for my son ..
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 4:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• my daughter goes to prek for the same thing and i was happy to let her go. i knew she needed special attention to help her develope her speech and i wasn't able to do it. she has improved dramaticlly and we are so happy when she says she loves us and misses us. it has been great for her in other ways. she has learned lots more. she has a schedule and freinds that she loves to play with. don't worry this is a possitive thing for your son. just think how wonderful it will be tohear your son say i love you.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2009