Is polygamy only found in the OT? Or is it in the NT too?

What does the bible say about polygamy?

-Faithful4ever

getting tired of me yet? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Solomon wasn't a priest though. He was told not to multiply wives, but he did it anyways, and his many wives turned his heart away from God. It was terrible, but he totally left God to worship the gods of his wives. It brought him terrible consequences.

Anyways, here you go.

"A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach" 1 timothy 3:2

"if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination." Titus 1:6

Read them in context though, but there they are : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Nope, not tired of you =)
    I love your questions, but I honestly dont know. I know there is a place in the NT that talks about a godly man "being the husband of one wife", but I imagine it was still going on at that time.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Come to think of it, it still goes on today. So I am sure that is was an issue in Jesus' time too!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• HOW MANY WIVES DID SOLOMON HAVE?
    Anonymous

• There are cultural references to various individuals spoken about in the Bible participating in polygamy. A Biblical reference to someone participating in that type of relationship doesn't necessarily mean that God condones it--an account is just that: an account of something that happened. We see that although several of God's people in the Bible had polygamous and polyamorous relationships, their decision to do so always brought complication and trouble.

While there are references to marriage as Cin posted, I don't recall any instances of Polygamy among Christian individuals mentioned in the NT.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2009