Was there more then one Adam?

Gen 5:2

Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam in the day they were created.

-Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My bible says he named them "Man"....which is what "Adam" means....some things get lost in translation and its difficult to know what the true intent of the word was. I think he meant Mankind in general.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I have known many men named Adam.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• heeeheee...My son is one of them!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

Well, it happens to be very important to me if it really means Adam or if it means mankind. I guess i'm going to have to do some translation research.

-Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

• Im curious why it would matter. Adam was the first man God created, but He also created ALL mankind. What would the difference be? (Not a smartass question, a truly curious one)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• ARe you asking if God created Adam and then Adam? Sure, but there is the FIRST Adam
    Anonymous

• Yes, Adam means, "man" or "mankind". Here it is from Strong's:

( אדם) 'adam
    1) man, mankind

a) man, human being

b) man, mankind (much more frequently intended sense in OT)

c) Adam, first man

d) city in Jordan valley
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• So ...If Adam means man. and man can be plural and Eve means life, is it not possible that when God created the first man there was many?

-Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

It matters because if there was more then one Adam but they were all perceived to be the first Adam then who is to say the same thing did not occur with Jesus. There are several historians who believe that Jesus was not one man. But many.

-Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

• "So ...If Adam means man. and man can be plural and Eve means life, is it not possible that when God created the first man there was many? "
    Well, anything is possible with God. I never considered that that before, but to God there is no such thing as time, so maybe????
    -------------------------
    "There are several historians who believe that Jesus was not one man. But many. '
    I have never heard that before. I dont get how that works.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2009