do many people poop a lot when going into labor?

I know this is TMI, but im 39 weeks and feeling contractions and I've had to go to the bathroom like 3 times today. Is that normal?

jen.ritterbel

Asked by jen.ritterbel at 3:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it's normal, it can be an early labour or pre-labour sign. Basically the bowel and uterus sit next to each other so uternine contractions can irritate the bowel, and in practical terms it's a good thing because it 'clears the way' for the baby to decend and come out. Sorry, kind of gross, but it does!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Well that seems to explain why you are feeling your contractions in your lower belly... my guess is that its not contractions. I think you have some bowel thing going on! Yes it is common to go to the bathroom alot in early labor BUT it is not normal to only feel contractions in your lower belly whereas it is normal to feel bowel pain only in your lower bowels.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009