Ok, so what is so evil about Jar Baby food??

I just do not understand why jar baby food gets such negative responses on CM. Just curious!

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 4:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1. It's an expensive gimmick
    2. You are paying for 50% water
    3. They don't taste good...babies do have taste buds
    4. It's wasteful
    5. The are overprocessed

I also feel their marketing encourages poeple to feed babies solids too early by makking them so liquid that it bypasses a baby's natural tongue thrust reflex.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It's expensive, the food is over processed, it is environmentally unfriendly, it has to be spoonfed, and most of it tastes bad. Babies can feed themselves real food. When babies feed themselves they are less apt to overfeed. Babies never need the baby cereal.

Think of all those little jars, the energy it took to make them, the labels, the lids. There is a lot of water in those jars.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• They are expensive, they taste nasty, and you never really know what is in it. There is great information here: www.babyledweaning.com   and here: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 4:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• The cost alone is crazy. No real need to do jars...mashing what you eat works GREAT.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• But what is she eats say, Totino's Pizzas???
    Anonymous

• Oh gee, I don't know. I fed all three of my kids baby food in jars. Gerber. Maybe the cost is higher now. But it is fine. My kids loved them. I can't understand why there is such a big deal about food, formula,etc.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Anon:28:
    It's easy enough to keep bananas or avocados around to feed baby... or, just feed baby when you're eating something they can have. Solids are just for practice anyway!

If mom eats nothing but junk food... now, that will be a problem in the future when her child starts eating everything she does, so best to change habits sooner, rather than later.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I get why people don't like them - - -they can be expensive, and they dont' taste as good as food you make yourself. I used a combination of jar food and home-made baby foods. I made my own for while we were at home, and used the jars when we were out. My daughter ate anything we offered, but my son showed a definite preference for the mommy-made food. Both my kids were completely done with jarred/pureed foods by 9 months, and seeing as how they didn't start until 6 months, the expense wasn't as much as it could have been for us.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I don't see any problems with it. It's not like they are throwing random crap in the food. I ate it too. Most of it was pretty yummy, but a touch bland. DD loved it. It's convient and that's really what you are paying for.
    Anonymous

• idk i dont see any problems with it either yea if you can wait till your baby is 6-7 months before they are eatting food then there is no need for it but for other babies they start younger my ds is almost 3 months and im feeding him food now at night and he loves it and he is sleeping through the night so im happy and is he!
    Anonymous