What is a "White Elephant Christmas" I think that is the way it was said?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Its when you bring a siily gift, usually something worthless that you have around the house.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• But something that's not junk. You know that beautiful picture frame that great aunt bought you but it's in a lovely shade of purple that totally clashes with your country decor. Or your kitchen that is decorated in apples and your mom got you a pig cookie jar that oinks when you open it. Something that you can regift.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Often times a Christmas gift exchange (like at an office party) will be called a "white elephant" exchange. This means that you are supposed to bring a crazy, wacky gift, something that someone wouldn't really want. For example, I went to one several years ago and ended up bringing home a Monica Lewinsky biography! "White elephant" gifts usually are of nominal value. Does that help?
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• White elephant gifts are relatively inexpensive and mostly impractical gifts. It's usually something you already have but never use! The last White Elephant party we went to, we gave away a "lovely" 70's style orange candle holder we got for our wedding! :) I believe we got a metal bird of some sort! It's pretty funny to see what people bring!
    Dove14

Answer by Dove14 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• That sounds like fun i have never heard of that or tried that! How neat'O..i'll take the 70's candle!! LOL

EarthHippy

Answer by EarthHippy at 4:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We are having a White Elephant Christmas gift at my in laws this year.
    I am giving the Slap Chop and Graty. My DH ordered 2! And I am also re gifting a gift I like, a nice picture frame!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Before I was transferred we had a White Elephant gift exchange at our office every year. We were suppose to bring items we had at home but never used. Some of the things people brought were hysterical.

Be careful though, I once took a horrible looking brass plate that my mom had put in a garage sale but no one bought. My co-worker that got it during the gift exchange checked on ebay and they were selling for like $60.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2009