how do crediters figure there 25% garnishment off of a paycheck do they go before taxs or after them

is'nt there any law protecting us when it comes to garnishment. when you have a family and just getting buy how can they take money from you. if i could pay the bill i would have. now they are just garnishing the pay ck every month of 25% a wk and in no time they will have all there moeny paid to them and more. the bill was only 500 and with late charges and fees they brought it up to 989. why can'nt obama pass somthing to help us out. he sure helped the big banks out. i do not know how we are going to live. it took all i could get to pay the bankrupcy lawyer there fees of 1,700.00 plus another 50 for court fees that are added on. we will end up getting kick out of our rental place. i do not have any thing to sell becasue we do not have any thing and family will not help out. they say you made your bed now you lie in it. from both sides. i do not know what to do. the more moeny hubby makes the more they get.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• When you don't pay your bills other people can't pay theirs! The people you owe money too aren't just being unreasonable. In my business if I don't get paid I don't have money to pay my employees or the companies I buy inventory from. These people in turn can't pay the people they owe. It is a domino effect.

I don't suppose it has occurred to you that not paying money you owe is the equivelent of stealing, somebody somewhere has to pay for it. That somebody is usually another consumer.

Great answer Anon :13. It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to follow this excellent advice.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Garnished wages come from unpaid taxes, unpaid child support, unpaid student loans, and anything else guaranteed by the gov't. What sort of bill is this? And when you take on a loan, no matter from who, you need to read the fine print.
    Anonymous

• the bill was only 500 and with late charges and fees they brought it up to 989. why can'nt obama pass somthing to help us out. he sure helped the big banks out.

whaaaaaaat??????????

Anonymous

• Once the bankruptcy lawyer files your papers in the Federal courthouse, they should be able to cease the garnishment unless it is from child support or taxes owed. If you have already paid the bankruptcy lawyer, please talk this over with them and they should be able to assist you in getting the garnishment abated until your bankruptcy hearing.
    Anonymous

• Don't accumulate debt you cannot pay. You owed and obviously did not try to pay or you never would have been sued. You probably ignored and dodged the calls hoping it would go away. You were taken to court and now you owe. I would suggest you working nights so you can supplement your income for now. I have had debt and paid it off sucks but you got a service or item for that money and you owe. Obama doesn't need to fix that people need to quit spending more than they have. Personal responsibility really is not a thing many understand is it. I bet the OP doesn't understand a word I just typed because of that fact.
    Anonymous

• I already answered your other question, but to elaborate on the BK thing - you do not need a lawyer, you do need to pay for credit counseling class and filing fees. As for Obama...ROFLMAO. It's not his job to bail you out from not paying your bills. You had multiple opportunities to make arrangements with this company before it got to garnishment - legally they are required to offer them to you. This includes at least one and up to 3 court dates.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

I hope you never find yourself unable to pay bills that were no problem before. We are kinda in the same boat- I have been looking for work for almsot a year- I have applied for about 200 jobs- and every time I interview I get told about how they are planning to talk to 200 or 2,000 other people.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• If yo have paid for bankruptcy -then they should be able to take care of it ...I would call the lawyer
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It seems to me that if you can't pay your bills and the Government garnishes your pay check, it is your responsibilty to take care of it. Obama won't help you. LOL. WHy should he? Buying more than you can afford can get you in trouble. So, now that you are going to declare bankruptcy, it doesn't really get you out of this mess. Your credit rating will go away and they won't let you have a checking account or buy a home for at least 7 years. Are you sure you want to do that? Or is it already in motion.
    Anonymous

• I hope you never find yourself unable to pay bills that were no problem before. We are kinda in the same boat- I have been looking for work for almsot a year- I have applied for about 200 jobs- and every time I interview I get told about how they are planning to talk to 200 or 2,000 other people.

I have been there and found a way out. I worked three jobs. It sucked but paid every penny of money I have ever owed. I grew up poor but my parents always paid their own way. My husband lost his job last year too he is still unemployed we saved for a day like this and are doing fine. We have barely touched savings found a way to live on unemployment while he was on it. Having our home paid off really helped. She owed money and didn't bother to pay or contact them so they sued. She has to pay and needs to get over it. She can find a night job somewhere if she wants to.
    Anonymous