breastfeeding...dd can't get enough!

My dd is 8 days old and can't seem to get enough milk. She will feed for an hour to an hour and a half and still act hungry. Is this normal? I don't know if I can keep up.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 4:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Completely normal! Remember, she was inthe womb with 7/24 food service up until eight days ago.

If you're changing 6-8 dipes a day she IS getting enough..

Do you have a sling? If not, get one...it will help. And by ALL means, don't feel you have to run around cleaning the house or being a hostess. You just had a BABY! You get to be waited on. Admission to see the new baby is a chore or a casserole., unless the visitor is too old or too young to do either.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• How many diapers is she making everyday?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yes it is normal, the first two weeks are very hard, the babys tummy is very small and your milk is still getting regulated to say the least, It will level out. As long as she is have 6 to 8 wet diapers a day and gaining some weight, she is fine. Alot of babys lose a little bit of weight right after birth while others gain.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I feel your pain-- my son was constantly nursing. And I mean constantly!
    My guess is that she is probably working to increase your milk supply-- that's one cool thing about our bodies: we automatically make as much as our babies want!
    I would definitely talk to a lactation consultant and your doctor if you are concerned.
    Otherwise just stick with it and she will taper off at some point. You are doing a wonderful thing by providing for your daughter in this way! So kudos to you!
    (One other thought-- babies will often nurse for comfort as well as for food. She may just really enjoy being near you and having that special bonding time).
    Dove14

Answer by Dove14 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Like the other mommies said, it's normal - - she's working on getting your supply up to where it's going to need to be for her first big growth spurt, AND she wants the comfort of suckling and being close to her mom. It can be tiring, but try to enjoy this time while you can - it doesn't last long!! :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• there is a group on cafemon for breast feeding. i joined and it helped me a lot. there is an expert on there that can help answer this question other then this is normal. it will give you advive on what trick you can do to help change this pattern. i would think that pumping to help bring in that milk supply would help as well in giving her plenty to feed on when she feeds next rather then pulling what you have and asking your breast to produce more when she asks again. pumping will bring in more then what your baby does. although that is just my thought. i would go to that group and reask your question. i know exactly how you feel. my baby is just a bit over a month old but it seems like just yesterday she was born.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• PP is a little off. You don't want to change the pattern because that pattern is normal for a newborn... My son spent up to 3 hours nursing at times during the day and then sometimes all night!! It's normal newborn behavior. She's nursing for comfort (she just got out of your womb) and she's nursing to build your supply. Trying to put her on a schedule at this point would sabotage the breastfeeding relationship because you would end up with low supply. Pumping as PP mentioned is not necessary and could cause more problems than help. There's no reason to pump unless you are going to work soon and need to build a huge extra supply in your freezer -- but before you've even established a nursing relationship it is not the best plan.
    To help with lack of sleep - co-sleep with baby nursing. On the floor if not comfortable in the bed. It's really the only thing that will help prevent sleep deprivation at this point.
    Anonymous

• ALL NORMLA. TAHST WHAT THEY DO EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT!! GET A SLING. AS LONG AS SHE HAS 6-8 DIPARES IS ALL NORMAL. BABIES ARENT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY. GOOD LUCK MOMMA!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• All excellent/helpful responses! Thanks! I joined the bf group and posted all my concerns there.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 6:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2009