are we in the wrong for starting our own christmas thing?

every year we do thanksgiving dinner an my hubbys aunt does christmas eve dinner. well every thanksgiving we pay for everything. an every christmas his aunt wants everyone to bring food. well this year we are unable to buy anything for christmas dinner because we have to buy formula (please no bashing) anyways well my hubbys uncle is unable to take food also so she called him telling him he isnt invited because he was unable to buy food. so she called me earlier throwing a fit because we werent able to buy anything. i told her "im sorry but my kids come 1st an my baby needs formula". well she still all pissed off. so we are gonna start our own thing this year with his mom an dad an uncle an his uncles girl friend.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Holidays

• no your not wrong. Why should you have to buy all of thanksgiving, and she has everyone bring something? I would not feel bad.
    Anonymous

• If the aunt is that ugly, I wouldn't want to share this day with her. Even if down the road you could afford to go, I recommend you don't and do your own thing.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• no way. your baby is more important than pleasing her. i hope you create a wonderful new tradition, wishing you luck
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 5:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Wow... someone doesnt get the idea of Christmas... she sounds like a jerk.

You are not wrong.
    Anonymous

• do your own thing but still send her a card
    cakright

Answer by cakright at 5:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I wouldnt feel bad either! Of course your kids come first for any reason! Starting your own thing is great, that way you can decide who and what is brought. There are alot of cheap, simple, but cute things you could make to feed people if you felt you needed to. No need to have a huge meal.
    formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• People need to realize that just being together is enough. If she is going to act like a child, I think you are being smart by having your own family celebration. Maybe she will realize that if some one can't bring something, she is the one who offered to host and she should fill in the gaps.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• no you arent wrong but i think that this could of been changed or corrected a long time ago...(depends when you got married), you shouldnt of had to buy the whole thanksgiving, but that might of been your choice. let her throw the fit maybe she will get some realization.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• ou need to remember no one will care as deeply for your family as you do... it sounds harsh- but if you do not put your family (and by that I mean DH and your kids) first - who will??

Happy Holidays!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• you should throw your own thing for sure! I can't believe your aunt! How rude. honestly? and FYI i wouldn't invite her. lol
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 5:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009