thinking about baby number 2... help!!!

well the little one is 14 months and im eventually thinking about having another but im scared about giving birth again. i had such a hard time with the birth of my son. ended up having complications and had an emergency c cection. i really wanted a natural birth but was told that i have a small pelvis?? so i dont want another c cection but i want to try for a girl (fingers crossed). im scared to have another complication or c cection. what are some good info about VBAC? im so confused

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 5:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, if its possible I would try a childbirthing center with midwifes, they're great, some are expensive some not. BUT definetly my best advice about havin a second baby is to wait untill your first is 3 or older.
    Mommyof1girl18

Answer by Mommyof1girl18 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yeah I agree with PP wait until your child is a little older. Also, I had a scheduled C-section with my second and it was much much better than having the first. I know you want to go natural, but they may not be what's best IMO.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Mine are only 16 months apart and I see that you've gotten advice in both of your posts about waiting until your kids are 3 years apart... I liked having them close and it was what worked for our family for various reasons.

I had an emergency c-section with my first after 50 hours of natural labor and was devastated. I went through a lot of mental anguish before I finally decided to have a repeat c. I was told that my probs were probably anatomical, too, which wasn't a good sign since my first baby was only 6 lbs 4 oz. But the fact that my the pregnancies were so close together I think finally shifted the balance in favor of the c-section. But my midwives suggested 2 years at a least between births for a VBAC -- not 2 years before TTC, but between actual births. I think if you can find a midwife that supports you, and you really want to try and feel comfortable with the risks, you should. I didn't.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I should also say that my second c-section was millions times better, partly because I was more mentally prepared, wasn't struggling with the major disappointment of wanting zero medical intervention (I started in at home), but also because my body hadn't just been through ... well... a long, unproductive labor. It was surgery, so no glitz or glamour, but it was a lovely birth, and that time I understood that I was still giving birth even though my body couldn't push out a baby. Feel free to PM me, and good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• thank you to all that answered! i dont want a another anytime soon but im just torn if i ever want another one because i dont want a c cection.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 5:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2009