how do I help my baby sleep yet encourage some independence???

My daughter is one year and five mo old. Shes had a little bit of trauma recently because of a custody battle. I do not want to make her feel neglected in anyway so lately she sleeps in my bed, however I feel my daughter should have her own wonderfull room with her own bed by the time shes 3...I hope. Shes been having nightmares at night, I can totally tell, and she has one nap a day, but if im not there she FREAKS!!! I cant sleep with her all the time, I need to clean and get things done.. how can I maybe slowly ween her off of sleeping with mom? lots of advice needed. thanks

Mommyof1girl18

Asked by Mommyof1girl18 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try a toddler mattress on the floor next to your bed. Encourage her to sleep there and eventually move it farther and farther from your bed until she is close enough to sleeping in her own room. I would suggest CIO,but you said she has recently had trauma and is experiencing nightmares. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2009