Pregnant stray cat

Can anyone tell me how you can tell if a cat's water breaks? We brought home a cat from church. It looks like she was someone's pet and they dropped her off at church. She was there for a while before we brought her home. It looks like she might be pregnant, but I'm not sure. Today I noticed her pacing around, digging, looking like she would use the bathroom then walking off. Her tail and part of her body are wet. Could her water have broken? We put out a container with ripped up newspaper in it (she's outside). I haven't taken her to the vet yet. I guess I'll need to do that in the next few days. However, in the meantime, do you think her water could have broken if she's wet like that? Obviously I know nothing about pregnant cats, lol!

Littlebit722

Asked by Littlebit722 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pets

• i had cats before and they have been pregnant. i think her water could have broken and her kittens will be coming soon. some advice is to put down newspaper or something so that the blood doesn't stain your carpet. i would still take her to the vet just to make sure she is healthy.
    Anonymous

• Her behavior sounds like she's getting ready to give birth, yes. I think you mentioned she's outside, is there any way you can move her inside (the garage or something)? This time of year, it's not a good thing for newborn kittens to be outside... Also, when all is said and done, if you could get her and her offspring fixed, that would be a great thing. There are way too many stray cats out there already...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Anouck, we're in Florida so right now it feels like summer. But I am a little worried since a big cold front is moving in this weekend. Is there anyway we can move her and her babies after she gives birth? Or would she not allow us to move the kittens? We'll definitely get her fixed. She's now our fourth outside cat. One showed up one day (we live in the country so tons of strays around) and two others we've brought home from church. We've had two neutered so far. Now just her and one more male to go. I'm with you. There are way too many strays. In fact, we have two others that show up every night to eat, but they won't let us near them. Plus a possum, lol!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It depends on how tame she is... If she'll let you pet her, and handle her, then yes, you can move her inside after she gives birth. If not, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to move the kittens, since she may just abandon them. And having had to bottle feed a littler of 4 week old kittens, I can tell you it's a pain, heh (all three of those kittens are now 15 year old cats sleeping on my bed, btw).

But I'm glad you're going to get her fixed. Too many people just allow their outdoor pets to continue breeding, which only makes the overpopulation problem worse.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If you can, move her before she has the kittens. Afterward she may try and take them back where she had them ~ or somewhere where you can't find her. With the storm coming in (I'm in SC) it would be better if she had good shelter anyway.

Also, keep an eye on her if possible. If she's in labor and not progressing there may be problems. Labor can last quite a long time prior to any kittens making an appearance though, so if she doesn't appear to be in pain, just watch her. Once the kittens start coming, she should have one every half hour or so ~ and she will most likely eat the placentas. Icky but normal ~ but you can take them and at least she won't choke on any.

If she'll let you, rub each one dry with an old and slightly rough washcloth. Mom cats get pretty tired trying to dry them all. And, buy a bag of kitten chow for her. She can use the extra calories while she's nursing. Good luck!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Thanks everyone. She's very tame. She must have been someone's pet. WIth the economy, people have been dropping them of at our church. We brought her home because there are a ton of feral cats at church and she seemed to be afraid of them. We made a bed of shredded newspaper and put it in the garage for her. We took her in there a few times so she could figure out how to get in and out through the "doggie" door. However, I'm not really sure if she's pregnant or not. She loves to hang out up in trees or in the bushes. Our other three "adopted" cats sleep on the back porch. But when we bring her in, she just takes off outside again. I have an appt. with the vet on Tuesday to see if she's really pregnant. So we'll see! Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2009