Seriously, how do other moms do it?

I've got a dilemma. Since my kids are unable to drive yet- 12 and 15, I'm having trouble getting them to school in the mornings! I have to work, and my hours start very early in the morning. Their dads hours are similar to mine- he's tried coming in later to work but misses important meetings! Their is no bus stop near our house(we live too close), but, it's also a 30 minute walk! I've tried a carpool but the lady flaked on me. Other than quit my job, I don't know what to do! We have zero family members that live close to us. What do you all do if faced with this challenge?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would hire someone to do it. Maybe a college student. I don't imagine it would cost very much and they wouldn't flake out if they wanted to get paid.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• try a different carpool.

how much earlier do you leave? some schools have a home work area they can go to.
    Anonymous

• Honestly if it were me then the kids would just have to leave early enough to get there on time. The town I live in most kids walk to school so I dont see why yours cant make a 30 minute walk. It would also be very healthy for them in the long run. A little excercise never hurt anyone. Moms have to do what moms have to do.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 5:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Make them walk or have them hang out at the library before school starts.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Or better yet, have them ride bikes!
    Anonymous

• Before we moved last week I talked to my employer when my son started school that I might be about 15 min late. I dropped my older son off at 8 when the doors opened even though school didn't start until 8:30. Drove 25 min accross town to daycare for my baby. Work was 5 min from daycare and I was supposed to start at 8:30. Now we moved and DS starts school at 7:45 and is only 10 min from work. Now I'm to work by 8:15.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• look for a before school program that will take you kids to school, or a care provider near the school that your kids could go to for the time difference.
    lildudesmomma

Answer by lildudesmomma at 6:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would talk to the school. We live no joke 1.8 miles from the school and my son gets picked up. You have every right to public school transportation. I mean what if you had them ride a bike but hen what if it rains? What if it's dark when they leave? It may accomplish nothing but I would still call the school and your counties department of public school transportation.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• At the schools here you aren't allowed to drop the kids off more than 15 minutes before the doors open. I know I see ads on Craigslist all the time hiring people to drive their children to school. I wouldn't make them walk too much can happen and they'll be tired before they even get to school and what happens when its pouring down rain. I would hire someone to drop them off. Usually its like $30-$50 a week to have someone do it. Do you have a neighbor you trust or maybe a neighborhood kid ? I agree that I would talk to the school first but if they do nothing go ahead and hire someone.
    Anonymous

• Is there any flexability in your work schedual? Is there a neighbor who might help you out? Can they go early?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2009