Why won't he eat his cereal?

We just started my 4 1/2 month old son on rice cereal once a day. Well the first try was good. He ate all of it and did really well...but now he won't eat it! He cries and fusses the whole time and won't swallow it. He just holds it in his mouth and then when he cries it all falls out. He's been exclusively breastfed so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I nursed him on one side beforehand and even put breastmilk in the cereal and warmed it a little, but he still won't eat it! I had to throw the rest out and nurse him on the otherside to get him to stop fussing. Any advice would be appreciated!

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all, he is too young. Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts
    Two great books on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food; you should be able to find these at your local library. The websites have some good information; links below

Answer by rkoloms at 9:54 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• He's too young... He's obviously not ready to be on solids yet. Just continue to breastfeed him for a bit longer. I didn't start mine on solids till he was 6 months old. At that point, you can offer it, but if they don't want it, don't force them.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It's a sign that he is too young for solids.

It is recommended that babies be breastfed exclusively for 6 months.

No solids until then, not even cereal. At 6 months you can start with banana, sweet potato, or avocado. You never need to feed cereal. Just mash a little up and put it in front of baby and let the baby feed himself.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website that has lots of info on starting solids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Maybe it bothered him the first time he ate it. 4 1/2 months is a little young and it may have been rough on his stomach. Granted my son was older, but at 10 months he refused to nurse after I had eaten eggplant. He knew he had been miserable after nursing and I couldn't get him to breastfeed again.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would say to wait a little longer and try it again. unless of course your pedi wants him on cereal now, if so could you try mixing it with juice?

Desiree
    www.workathomeunited.com/dkm
    To request information on how you can earn an income from home!
    lovinglife1127

Answer by lovinglife1127 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Totally agree with the others. Wait another month and a half and try again. He only needs the breastmilk anyway. Giving him cereal will only be taking away from all the nutrients you can give him.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yeah he's pediatrician is the one who told me to put him on cereal once a day so that's what I did but I think you ladies are right...he's probably just too young. He's in the 90th% for weight so obviously my breastmilk is doing the trick.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I am amazed at how little doctors know about breastfeeding. But then again, they do have to learn SO much. My doctor suggested weaning when the teeth first came in!!! With some kids that is before they are 6 months!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Wow thats pretty shocking that he recommended cereal when your baby is doing just fine on BM. You better watch this doc.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It could be that he just doesn't like the cereal. My LO didn't like the cereal so I moved on the veggies and she loved them. You can wait to try again or try veggies if you wish. We started at 31/2 mos but that was because I couldn't get my LO satisfied on just BM. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2009