What are my baby's risks with me being 36 years old?

kylesmum01

Asked by kylesmum01 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What kinds of risks?

There is an increased risk for some birth defects. Being 36 is not old to have a baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• your fine.

I am 41 and in better shape than many 20 somethings I meet.
    Anonymous

• They say there's a slightly higher risk for some birth defects, but they base that strictly on age.... I was 37 when I had my first baby, and he was perfectly fine. I had a very easy pregnancy too, so if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. 36 is not that old!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Like the others said, don't worry about it. From what I have read, it is true that your risks for some things go up at 35, but it isn't really that big of a jump in your risks. I don't know why the medical field makes a big deal of it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• none. my mom had me at 37. now if you were like 50 that would be different
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Your risks have increased with your age....even being 36 as opposed to 35, there is increase risks of birth defects. I am 36 and pregnant and go monthly to both an ob/gyn and a perinatal center. The perinatal center counseled my husband and I about genetics and the increased risks. I also have been tested for down's syndrome and two other birth defects (I just can't remember the names). (The test was blood and measurements of the baby's neck) I opted out of having an amniocentesis. After the tests, they break down each result for each defect. For example, I have a 1 in a million chance of having a baby with down's. This result differs from national statistics because they are personal to my tests.

The risks are higher now for us. However, not as high as being 45 - where the chances increase tremendously for down's syndrome and other defects (1 in 19 pregnancies are DS @ this age). What I didn't know (cont.)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• ....(cont.) is that 91 to 93% of pregnancies that are found to have Down's are terminated! That is disturbing - but also explains why it is not common to find these special creatures around in public.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You have an increased risk of chromosome abnormalities like Down's. Just using Down's for example...

15-19 year old 1/1250
    20-24 year old 1/1400
    25-29 year old 1/1100
    30-31 year old 1/900
    32 year old 1/750
    33 year old 1/625
    34 year old 1/500
    35 year old 1/350
    36 year old 1/275

that is the ratio of live birth's with and without Down's at any given age. HOWEVER their are different studies showing the ratio at 16 weeks and at 36 it is 1/200 so I am pretty sure that means that the rest of the baby's are aborded at that point and dont make it to full term live births
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2009