The length of the life of Jesus

Why did God not allow Jesus more time on earth? How long were people living back then? few hundred years, according to the bible? (i dont really know). 35 years is such a short time. And even shorter was the time of his teachings. It just kinda seems to me that if God really wanted to save the sinners he would've allowed Jesus the average life expectancy.

And don't give me the whole "God didn't take Jesus away. People did". God knows everything. There must have been a reason why Jesus did not live such a long life.

Also, how could Jesus possibly have experienced all of our wordly temptations if he never aged? Are there not different kinds of temptations as you grow older? Also, aren't people of today experiencing different temptations then those in biblical times?

-Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• People in the bible lived well over 100 years old, but that was thousands of years before Christ! In christ's lifetime I would guess the life expectancy was around 40-60. So he probably died somewhat young. As to why, I have no idea. Scripture says He came at the perfect time, so I believe His life was also the right 'length!'
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Jesus didn't experience all of our worldly temptations, but He was tempted by every type of sin (anger, coveting, sexual purity/lust, jealousy). All sins have various manifestations. Ex. Lust can manifest itself in impure thoughts, adultery, sex before marriage, homosexual acts, sex with animals, etc. Jesus didn't have to be tempted by animals or homosexual thoughts. The Bible doesn't say that. But Jesus, probably had normal physical desires and He was not married. It is important to remember that lust is a sin that you commit in your mind. So is Jesus was sinless, that means that He did not even entertain sexual fantasies! That is important. I don't want anyone to think impure thoughts, about Jesus thinking impure thoughts -- because He didn't think impure thoughts.

That is what the whole sermon on the mount is about. The fact that true righteousness begins in the heart (Matthew 5).
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• As far as Jesus living only into His 30's I don't see that as a problem. He came to do the will of the Father, and He says that He completed the work that He had for Him.

Now the rest of the work is up to us, His followers.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• So what was His work? To die for our sins? Could He not have done that at a later age so that more of Gods word would be taught as it should be?

-Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

• *** Wow, your question totally made me think. I mean if I died today could I say the same thing as Jesus? --I have completed the work that you gave for me to do."

That is a heavy question. It is a lesson for all of us to live each day as if it could be our last, and to follow God's plan for us, fulfilling our own callings.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• The age that Jesus died is usually given as being 33. He died when he did because of what was going on politically with the Romans and to fulfill prophecies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• God is God, He doesn't have to justify His actions or His time table to us.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Gailll

What was going on politically with the Romans means nothing when God has all the power. He must have had a reason for the length of Jesus's life. Could Jesus not have fulfilled prophecies if He had died later?

-Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

• No. He was done with all of His work, and He didn't need to stay and teach longer. His timing has nothing to do with our timing. How many times did Jesus Himself tell people "My time has not come" or "the time has come." Everything He did was on God's timetable from His baptism, His time of fasting (40 days), His first miracle, His triumphal entry (which was prophesied to the day), to the moment He physically died, the amount of time He remained dead, and then when He rose again till when He ascended to heaven.

He was fully submitted to the timetable given to Him. Sometimes He took too long in human eyes (like when He waited until Lazarus was 3 days dead before He decided to go heal Him). Mary cried in anger, "Lord if you would have been here earlier" but Jesus rose Lazarus from the dead.

Everything, even every moment of time, is according to the plan of God.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• teamquinn

I have seen you use that phrase more then any other question. I feel that if God wanted sinners to be saved He would have provided answers to questions such as these. Or possibly made it so that people did not ask questions. But i know there is a verse in the bible that encourages asking questions. "God is God" is not an answer that a hesitate and doubtful yet potential future Christian (such as myself) is going to accept. If you don't know the answer, say "I don't know. Pray about it" or any other number of things that Christians say when they don't know the answer.

-Faithful4ever
    Anonymous