Parents of kids with food allergies

My 15 month-old has a peanut strong peanut allergy but the allergist wouldn't/didn't test for any other allergies two months ago when it was diagnosed. She did fine -- would have an occasional case of very mild hives or redness that went away with Benedryl -- usually I'd chalk it up to contact with something in a public place or something made in a shared facility that I hadn't realized. Anyway, this past week she's had a physical reaction to almost ever meal she's eaten. And I've made 100% sure no shared facilities/equipment with peanuts or other nuts. It's almost always been things she's been fine with in the past. The strange thing is that it's not hives now -- it's a redness of the skin -- almost like a sunburn -- and only in certain areas (not even the same areas each time). I feel like I'm going nuts because she has a cold and is already rosy, red, has sensitive skin, etc. So I'm always looking and am never sure what

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 6:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OP cont'd: I'm seeing. I can't even get her to hold still long enough to assess. Anyone been through anything like this. Oh, and she doesn't have dry skin or anything like eczema, no breathing troubles... but she has had cold symptoms and ear infections on and off (mostly on) for the past couple of months. THanks for any input!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• What you are describing may not be food allergy. It could be contact allergy or some other kind of rash. Food allergy is hives not rash and/or difficulty breathing.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• That's what I though... but it seems so connected to eating! I'm baffled. Nothing new at all.. same free & clear detergent, etc.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• my son gets contact allergies like that. (there is the sunburn looking rash and then white bumps pop up) it usually goes away right away with benadryl. So far it has been from contact with peanut butter, black tea and one particular dog.
    When we took him the to ER the first time he broke out from peanut butter (just contact...no ingestion) the Dr. said that to develop an allergic reaction, you have to be exposed to it at least once before to build up the antibodies for a reaction.
    She may be developing new alleriges to old things.
    Keep a food diary with what she eat and then if there is any reaction.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• In addition to what jenellemarie said about a food diary, keep a record of all cleaning products used (on days you clean) and if there were 'visitors' to the home (or if you went visiting and where)... then note the day, time, duration of reaction (and whether it's hives, rash, etc.).

This will help you, and the doctor narrow down the irritants.

My son used to have cold symptoms more often than not... it was due to his father being a smoker, even though he didn't smoke around our son the toxins were on his clothes, skin and hair.
    J1nx

Answer by J1nx at 7:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• With my peanut allergic daughter, it's someone else who ate peanut butter touching or kissing her. I'd ban the stuff from the house completely, and check for other allergies. My kid's allergy test came up not allergic to soy, but it's very obvious that she is. Those tests aren't always accurate, especially with kids under 3.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would try giving her, if you can, a really simple diet of foods that are bland/safe and watch carefully for reactions. Like the previous poster said, keep a journal. Go back to doing a different food every 3 days, again, probably impossible with a toddler! I have a 15m old who has grown out of the allergies we KNEW about, but are always on the lookout for new ones. good luck! Keep the benadryl handy!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2009