Pregnany & Gym

I have been one to love cardio and was pretty good at it (could run or stairmaster 10 miles in an hr 6min/mi) prior to getting pregnant. Due to the fact I'd had a miscarriage, I dropped the gym the first trimester just to make sure the baby was safe & risk of an miscarrage was past (I was told after 5 wks your "safer") I now am 20 wks and am at the gym but was told not to get my heart rate over 140 (according to a baby book I was reading) I find that ridiculous & yes I love my baby & want to be healthy but it's my "first" and just wanted to talk to other Moms out there who fequent the gym if that (heart rate 140) really is true. I am currently going "slow" doing only 30 min and 10 min a mile which of course is merely 3 miles a day, is this "over doing it" "safe" or still to much? I know compared at what I used to do its "slow" but the baby is most important and I will have time to get in shape after. Just wondering.....?

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i dont go to the gym alot. but is true about the haeart beat. once i had a prenal app my heart rate was in the 140 and they put me in the hsopital that same day. i had gone for a walk and my heart rate increase. it also made my baby's heart go up. so dont get to happy k. you need to slow down ans your tummy gets bigger you wont be able to do much. also alot of walking can bring on contactions
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I've heard two different stories. One is that the 140 heartrate thing is old and not accurate nowadays. The other is if you were already working out before you got pregnant, your body can handle working out at a heart rate above 140. I have also read what you read saying nothing above 140. IMO 140 is different for everybody, one person may feel that is really working out, another may feel they are barely working out because they are used to working out at a higher heart rate. I also feel that giving every pregnant woman who are all at different levels of fitness one heart rate to stay at is a little unreasonable and illogical. Everybody is different.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I really urge you to talk to your doctor about this. Heart rate of 140 seems way way way too low for me too... Since you were in such great shape before, you may be able to "get away" with doing more than average. I have read recent studies (within the last 8 years) that say you can do nearly everything you did pre-pregnancy, with the exception of exercises while on your back. (Crunches, etc)

I envy your love for cardio! I really wish I had your skill and motivation!!!! When I do work out (rare occasions), I tend to have a heart rate of 165 (for the majority of the workout) to 185 (only short amounts of time) while pregnant. When I was working out on a regular basis - I kept my heart rate between 180 and 190.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009