how to help my 7 yr. old

does any one know i can make counting money fun and easy for my daughter? she is in second grade an she has add i try so hard to help her but i have to repeat it like 7 times, i always explain an show her how to do it an i give her the answer, then i sit and watch her do it an she will get so upset at herself an then she just gives up. what should i do? please i need some advice.

lilcalimom02

Asked by lilcalimom02 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son would get his nickels and dimes confused for a while, so I made him a set with each denomination of coin. We made a special chart for quarters (those were the pesky ones for him) showing the amounts for one through four quarters. If you let me know what specifically your daughter is having trouble with I will try and help with some ideas.

I'm sure you already know this... (just a friendly reminder). When she gets upset with herself don't forget to praise her for working so hard to understand something that is difficult for her... low esteem in any area of learning only hinders the process.
    J1nx

Answer by J1nx at 6:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Play store with her

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Maybe get her a toy cash register for Christmas and some items she can use for shopping to ring up (do they still make the little platic foods and carts?) That might help her how to learn, especially if you work with her at it.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 9:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I would keep a hand full of change around and when she comes home with homework have her use the real money to count. It helps her see and feel the difference. GL
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yep, play store with her. It's boring as all get out, but it helps. When my girl was 7, I got some play money and she got her toys. We played store.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2009