4mnth old pukes after every bottle feeding! Help!

Okay so everytime my 4mnth old bottle feeds he pukes, its like curdled n all watery from his drool. I have him on Similac Advance with omega 3 & omega 6. I notice there is a Similac Sensitive. Should I maybe try that on him instead? It's getting to where I have to change him after every feeding somtimes like 3times.

dracosmommy

Asked by dracosmommy at 6:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• btw his Dr. said "he'll grow out of it" but that was when he was 6weeeks n he still doesnt believe its a problem, I just want my baby to be getting everything he needs.
    dracosmommy

Answer by dracosmommy at 6:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• He might have issues digesting that particular type of formula... I don't think it's a bad idea to try the sensitive type. I know mine was awfully fussy until I switched to the partially broken down type, so it's worth a shot! However, if it continues, you have every right to bring up your concerns with your Dr... Or if need be, get a second opinion.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• get him off the milk based try soy i really hope he hasnt been like this since he was 6wks..if so GET A NEW DOCTOR!
    Anonymous

• Maybe try feeding him less more often. So he will not be so full.

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You might want to try a formula that does not contain Martek DHA and ARA oils. These are chemically extracted from fungus and algae and their safety is somewhat questionable. They've been linked to severe diarrhea in infants, and it wouldn't surprise me if they also caused vomiting.

Are you burping the baby frequently? Formula and bottles can make baby gassy which can cause spitup.

You might also want to have your baby looked at and see if there's a possibility of reflux.

I'd definitely try smaller feedings. How much are you feeding at a time? Sometimes babies will continue to suck at a bottle once their belly is full because it's comforting. Since they can't control the flow too well, this can cause spitup and vomiting when their bellies over-fill. Try feeding 1-2oz instead of 2-4oz, or 2-4oz instead of whatever serving size you're feeding now. Do that, burp frequently during the feeding, and then keep the baby upright
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 7:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You can also try burping in different ways. Sometimes a particular method of burping won't get all the gas out. What worked for my son burping-wise was to sit him up, cup my hand over his belly, and lean him forward onto it so that I was putting pressure on his belly. I'd then rub his back vigorously in a "down to up" movement and he'd belch like a drunken sailor. :) If your baby is vomiting, make sure he's not leaning too far forward.

Are his poops normal? If he's got green, very watery or very hard stool, he might have a sensitivity to dairy.

"Sensitive" formulas are generally more expensive and not always necessary. See if there are other ways to eliminate the problem before switching formulas. Especialy since switching can sometimes aggravate the problem since it's harsh on the tummy to make sudden changes.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 7:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• With my second she had the same problem. When going home i asked the nurse and she states it is a problem if it looks curdled. Told her yes and first she was on enfamil with iron than thought she couldnt handle the milk switched to a soybase still nothing and finally the Enfamil gentlease that is the one that is partially broken down. Also to add she had acid reflux. You may what to get a second opinion
    hollamissy

Answer by hollamissy at 8:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2009