my brothers kids are always stinky. how do i tell him that when they come over i want them clean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• That is not a judgmental question at all. I see it as looking out for the kids best interest. Do the kids want to be the stinky kid in class and be picked on by the other kids? No of course not. So someone has to stand up and ask the parents what's up. Be kind, of course, but sure, ask how often they have their kids take a bath. Suggest that maybe because of their ages or whatever it is time to start taking them more often, that you are only concerned for the kids because other kids can be so mean. Just like some of the posters on here, right? And yes, when you are around the smell all the time you will tend not to notice, so the kids don't know they smell and the parents are use to the smell and don't notice. Someone needs to say something.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 6:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You don't have to say anything. I'm sure he already knows that you are a judgmental jerk.
    Anonymous

• Well you can say to him, your kids stink. But it probably will not go over to well. But at least he will know how you feel.

Answer by louise2 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• "You don't have to say anything. I'm sure he already knows that you are a judgmental jerk."

Ha ha...BEST ANSWER!
    Anonymous

• How is this judgemental? You ladies don't remember the stinky kids in elementary school? The ones that didn't take baths, smelled like pee or body odor? Its not just a smell issue, its a health and infection risk.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Really, what infection risk is there? Please educate us.
    Anonymous

• Oops..I deleted my answer!
    I said if you are close to him at all sit him down and have a serious conversation about it. Let him know you are not being judgemental or saying he's not a good parent. Let him know the way they smell could get them teased by other children and cause concern by other parents and teachers of child neglect...even if he takes great care of them. Being open and honest is always the better option. He may be upset at first if his feelings are hurt, but he might also listen to you.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I dont see how there is ANY room to attack the OP? She is asking an honest question. She is not JUDGING anybody but stating a FACT that these kids smell bad.
    I think the way to approach this depends on the origin of the bad smell (for example, does his whole house smell, is is pets, are they not being bathed?) and then go from there.
    If it is a simple fix, like them not being bathed then I would just tell your brother "The kids smell like they arent bathing properly. I didnt want to say anything but I dont want them getting teased at school either."
    If it is more personal (the whole house smells) then you might want to be more subtle by offering to help him out.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 7:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I agree with Jenellemarie. Maybe the responders that were rude to the OP are parents of stinky kids, LOL!

Another option would be to give them a bath when they come over. This is horrible to admit but I was probably a stinky kid in elementary school. I grew up with my dad and his idea of proper bathing was once a week. I probably had greasy hair and I KNOW I smelled like cigarettes in the worst way because he chainsmoked non-stop. Thank goodness when I was in elementary school kids were a bit nicer than they are now and I didn't get picked on for it.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would ask him how often he bathes them? If he says why,then say they have an odor to them.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009