Adam and Eve ...what it really means???

Okay. so Adam means mankind and Eve means life.

So is it possible that when God made Adam He actually created more then one person. There can't really be "mankind" unless there is more then one. Also, Eve means life which He created from Adam (mankind).

i don't really know where i'm going with this. It just seems to be much more figurative then literal. I feel there is something much deeper there. ...I guess it's time for meditation.

-Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The text was written so long ago and been translated so many times thats is hard to know anything for sure. we only really know a little more than a 1/4 of the hebrew words that make up the original hebrew bible.

i don't mean to imply that what your saying isn't possilble or even true....just my little nugget that ive been thinking about.

i agree meditation time lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• God created one man (adam) and from him he created one woman (eve) and from them he created generation after generation. at an appointed term to born and to die.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 6:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Adam is a representation of mankind and Eve a representation of life. Meanings of people's names were very important. The naming of the children with proper names with powerful meanings was important. Adam was named by God and Adam gave Eve her name... the mother of the living.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Honestly, I think the entire bible was meant to be taken figuratively, not literally. If you follow the bible, that is.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I know a lot of people that think the bible is figurative....full of a bunch of stories to explain how things happened, like folklore.
    I think that God is smarter than that and what it says happened, really happened.
    I believe that when He created Adam, he was intended to be the first of all mankind, along with Eve -- which is why He named them what He did.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 6:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I agree with Shannon. The names were significant, but they do not indicate plurality. If you look at the genealogy I gave you in another question you asked today, you will see how the meaning of the names in Genesis 5 actually prophetically reveal the plan for salvation in Jesus.

Genesis is pretty straightforward. You cannot make the inference that something is merely symbolic unless the passage gives you indication for that. The Bible says that God made man from the dust of the ground and breathed life into Him, and the man was lonely so God caused him to fall asleep and took a rib from his side and fashioned Eve. Because it is not good for man to be alone. So Man was ALONE. Adam had a very sweet relationship with God, as he lived in the garden.

And even Jesus quoted this story and He interpreted it in a literal way, which also lends credence to the Biblical story of creation.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Annouk, you said that you think the entire book should be taken figuratively? Can you give me a verse that shows it is only symbolic?

There is a ton of archeological evidence to back up the events and locations of the stories found in the book. If anyone is intersted there is this amazing film called the Mountain of Fire. It is about Mt. Sinai (Not St. Catherines) but Jabel Al Lawz in Saudi Arabia. It is amazing. You will literally watch it with your mouth hanging open.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• They are symbols to represent mankind. (Both man and woman are termed mankind) They didn't actually exist...they are fictitious,but they are symbols for humans.
    Anonymous

• Adam & Eve is just a creation myth and any significance it once had has long since been lost. The events in the Garden of Eden are basically about paradise lost, which is a feature in biblical history and particularly the Jewish faith and has been adapted for the Christian belief - paradise regained and redemption.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It is just a myth. Just like Noah's Ark. They are interesting stories and are symbolically beautiful. I don't think they are meant to be taken literally. After all, the bible was not written by God himself. It was written by man. And man is more subjective than objective.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 7:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2009