How do you tell the difference between a toddler being picky and really not liking a food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You really can't tell.

Answer by louise2 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Just keep giving them the food, over and over and over. It can take 20 or more times of seeing/trying a food before they actually try it, much less like it.
    Anonymous

• My 15 monlth old will eat certain foods sometimes but not other times. She will eat green beans about half the time I give them to her, the other half the time she spits them out and says no. I'd figure that if she ate the food in the past with no problems, she's just being picky.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• All toddlers go through what I call the air-o-tarian phase. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs. Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Make sure that you set a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed