Where's a good place to look for a toddler-sized helmet and knee/elbow pads?

I'd like a Lightning McQueen or Bumblebee (Transformer) one, but that's not a requirement. :)

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 7:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What is your toddler doing that they need protective equipment?
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 9:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• He's getting a tricycle for Christmas, and he's got training skates. It's more to establish good habits than that he's doing something where he really needs them.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Let me tell you what NOT to get. Don't go to WalMart and get the cute little Eric Carle Hungry Caterpillar toddler helmet. It may only be $20 and come with knee pads and elbow pads, but it blows. I spent about 3 hours trying to adjust it to her head, it still doesn't fit right, then she poked it wrong and the squishy pad fell off. The knee pads are too small, and my kid is skinny. The elbow pads are too big. Yes, I'm sure they're in the right places. Currently, my younger baby is using it to store toilet paper. That's about all it's good for.

I'd take your kid to a bike shop and have them fit a helmet. It's easiest to establish habits now. That's what we're doing. We have a helmet law here, too, so I think it's good to start before they can argue back!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009