do you follow up with your kids yearly check up?

I was just curious how many moms follow up with their kids yearly appointments and go every single year...i was also curious is there an age when its okay to quit taking your child for yearly check-ups?
Do some moms only take their kids if they have to get shots?
Do some moms not take their kids to check ups because they don't believe in vaccinations and see no point unless their child is sick?
What do you do?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• We go every year because you never know what the doc may find (heart murmur,blood pressure issue,etc) that otherwise may go unchecked.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I take my kids every year - but once they hit school we call it a school physical instead of a check-up - it's the same thing, don't know why they (doctors office) calls it different. We don't vaccinate at the doc's office but we go anyway. We'll never miss a check-up especially since my kids have a 50% chance of developing a hereditary heart condition. They also have fairly regular checkups with a pediatric cardiologist.
    Anonymous

• i was just wondering..i've taken my son every year..he's 5 now. My sister only takes her kids when shots are due and when they are sick. My step sister never takes her kids unless they are on their death beds...i feel really sorry for her kids.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• When I was a kid, my mom only took us to the doctor's for the years school physicals were required. We never went when we were sick (which wasn't very often anyway). We only went for emergency type things - like when I cut open my chin and needed stitches. Why waste the time and money?
    Anonymous

• i never went to the doctor when i was a kid either except to get shots for school and to the emergency room
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My in-laws only took their kids if they needed shots and then it was just the health department. One died of meningitis the curable kind at a young age if 18 because she didn't want to take him in it was just the flu the week long temp would break soon.

Of her other 2 one has mental health issues and the other is obese.

Not saying because they didn't take them in but these things could have been helped. Her reason she doesn't like doctores.

My son will go every year until he turns 18. Once a year never hurt anyone.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 8:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I did up until the age of 12....at that point the doctor told me that they only needed to come in for physicals if I had any concerns or if something such as a sports physical were necessary.
    Anonymous

• yes
    marievegan

Answer by marievegan at 8:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I don't take my kids unless it's needed - physical for preschool, something weird is going on with them. We don't do well visits. Those are designed for vaccintaions and I don't vaccinate. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My sons went every year until the start of their senior year of high school and then after that it's up to them. My oldest son goes once a year, my 2nd son is 21 and hasn't had a check up since he was 17. My younger 2 are seniors and one is off to the military and the other will be going to college, they'll probably keep up with yearly check-ups. Hubby and I have yearly exams as well.
    Anonymous