what is co sleeping?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 7:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Having your baby sleep in your bed with you, sometimes in a special little co-sleeper bed or attatchment, sometimes just between you & hubby/SO. Can be very dangerous but some parents swear by it.
    Anonymous

• Having baby in bed with you. Done CORRECTLY, it's safer than a crib because mom is aware of baby's breathing.

Correctly means without blankets or pillows around baby...so for some moms it's a no-go. You can also sidecar the crib to the bed so baby is right there and you don't have to get up.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• putting baby in bed with you. i have coslept with both my kids. if done safely like gdiamante said is great. do researh on it. my ds is almost 10 mts and we either sleeps in my bed or his crib. he likes the bed more
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• All four of my kids co-slept and have had no issues with them. i liked it because it was easier to BF them. Especially on cold winter nights. They fell sleep faster and stayed asleep longer too. But that's just MY personal experience.I'm sure others will vary. Oh and they are all sleeping in their own beds now. No issues with the transition either.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Co-sleeping is having the baby in the SAME ROOM AS YOU. Bedsharing is sharing your bed with the baby :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Co-sleeping is having the baby in the SAME ROOM AS YOU. Bed-sharing is sharing your bed with the baby :)

This
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Co-sleeping is just what it sound like: sleeping in the same place/bed with your child. As explained earlier, there are some little co-sleeping beds that can go in your bed and some that attach to the side of your bed. Otherwise, parents just sleep with their LO right between them. As long as you read up and make sure to do it safely (no meds, no drugs or alcohol, no blankets and pillows) it can be safe. It's also very convenient for nighttime breastfeeding and sometimes the only way to get any sleep at all with a colicky baby (I speak from experience!).
    Dove14

Answer by Dove14 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Safety is important. However, I use a pillow...baby can't smother because my head is on it and she's not near it or on it. It helps me to nurse lying down if me head is up. It gets cold here so we sleep with a blanket. I cocoon myself, husband has his own, and baby has her own flannel she gets swaddled in.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009