Why do people get mad if someone gives you a gift that isn't what you wanted?

I don't really understand? Even if the gift is not something you wanted or would use,how can you get mad? At least that person cared enough to get you a gift.And shouldn't it be the thought that counts? I don't know,maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Because people are greedy, materialistic and thankless. Some people don't appreciate the act of giving...its all about what they get.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• The person who got mad is rude.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I don't get mad about it, I appreciate that they took the time to at least try to think of me, and besides, the very fact that it's a GIFT means that it's a "bonus" thing - I am NOT "entitled" to it.

Now, I do have to admit, I would probably be hurt if someone gave me a gift that wasn't just something that wasn't what I wanted, but was something that if you at all knew me you would know was WAY inappropriate for me. (Like if I was a vegetarian and someone gave me a membership into a meat of the month club or something like that...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

I AGREE~
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Oh, I should clarify, in the case that I mentioned where I was hurt, I would still be gracious about it and thank the person, but I would privately think to myself that they obviously didn't know me very well, and would wonder why they wanted to give me a gift to begin with...

But, like I said, it's a GIFT - it's not something that you're entitled to, so people need to grow up!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I would say the only time you should get mad is if it is you hubby or relative that knows you well. For instance if my hubby gave me a mop or something I would be pissed. If a friend just got me something that wasn't me I would never act upset that is rude. It is situational, but in the end you should appreciate the thought (unless it can be considered a form of an insult). Like when my mothers day card from the inlaws said thank you for making a pretty baby, which meant we hate you but love out grandbaby. I guess I have had bad experience with gifts being used to insult me or hurt me in some way, but if it is genuine care the gift is given who cares what it is be happy you got anything at all. Sorry I ramble.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2009