Does anyone suffer from hormone related adult acne?

Help! I have really bad adult acne and it started after the birth of my first child. I have tried everything to get rid of it, and nothing has worked. So, I think my hormones may be out of whack. I have heard progesterone may help or may make it worse. Any advice? What about birth control pills? (I've never taken them).

buddy1212

Asked by buddy1212 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Health

• I think it depends how long ago you had your baby, at least as far as blaming it on pregnancy lol. I rarely had acne up until I became pregnant with my 1st child, and then I got it somewhat bad throughout the pregnancy and then pretty bad after she was born for a few month, but it was on and off, and when it was "on" it was bad. Now it seems to be calming down, but I always get pretty bad acne the week before my period, which never happened to me before my pregnancy. I definately believe it's hormone related. I'm on birth control pills and I think that makes it worse, but, for some ppl the pills help clear it up.
    Have you tried Proactive? I know it's expensive but I think it's worth a try, I know ppl who use it and it actually works. I just can't afford it right now lol.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 8:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I got horrible hormonal acne when I was pregnant with my son and it got even worse after he was born.
    The combination birth control pill can help (progesterone only pills, or the "mini pill" tend to make it worse), and you can be on the combination pill while nursing as long as your milk supply is well established.

My acne was close to being cleared up completely by the time I got pregnant with #2. Now I have some acne again but so far it seems much milder than last time around. I use a scrub with salicylic acid (yes I know, dermatologists don't recommend scrubs but it works well for me) and was given a prescription for Finacea-- which is a face cream actually made to treat rosacea. Otherwise Clindamycin is a safe and generally effective antibiotic face cream that I happen to be allergic to. :)

I think that some people also attest to certain vitamins sold to help balance hormones as well. It's worth a try, right?
    Dove14

Answer by Dove14 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• P.S. A trip the your dermatologist might be your best bet. They'll be able to evaluate the severity of your condition and can recommend the best treatments.
    Dove14

Answer by Dove14 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Seriously nothing ever helped me like a trip to the dermatologist (fastest, most effective, and cheapest)....and I wasted so much time and money before that.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• A lot of times, acne is only a symptom of a larger problem. I had terrible trouble w/ acne on my chin during and after pregnancy, then I started noticing other symptoms that seemed hormone-related (like inability to lose weight despite exercise and diet, mood swings, irregular periods - things that alone didn't seem to be "symptoms", but taken together they added up to a hormone imbalance), and finally got diagnosed w/ PCOS. A common but annoying syndrome that makes your hormones go wacky. Do you have any other hormonal symptoms?
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Im late with this but prescription Duac has been my LIFESAVER!! It's almost like when I turn 39 earlier this year my body said, ok, time to give you a hard time.. And boy has that been the case.. But Duac... Is awesome..
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 2:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2009