buying a house(marine corps)

our family is military. since we been marry 4 yrs we have always rented. we have 6mts leftin this duty station and then we moved to our next station. we are looking at lejeune since we used to be there. but now dh is all like no we shouldt by one cuz what if we move and we cant sell the house. i wnat a house of my own my house. any of you military wives own houses or marine wives havea house in lejeune? my dh is scared that if we by we wont be able to sell if we get sent to another base. waht do i do? should we by or keep renting. he is doing career and i dont wnat to be renting for the rest of my life

piwife

Asked by piwife at 7:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My DH is Retired Army. the whole 20 years we never bought a house. We moved to much. Buying and selling every 3 or 4 years is not fun. We waited tell he retired.

Answer by louise2 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Would you be willing to rent that house out if you got posted elsewhere, so that you don't have to go through the hassle of selling?

Answer by gdiamante at 8:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• i have no problem with renting. i think it would actually be good,. dh puts a problem for everything. he always listens to everyone but me
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We're a Navy family - married 17 1/2 yrs, and AD for 19 1/2 (we were both AD when we met). We've rented or lived in housing the whole time. I do know some people who bought, and things went well for them, but I also know a lot of people who bought a house and got bit in the rear end. Things like - they got orders, and couldn't sell it, and the AD member had to go on (usually the dh in the cases I've known about) and the wife had to stay behind with the kids, which caused hassles as far as BAH, etc goes, not to mention the added separation time. (One friend after almost a yr of this sold their house for like 10 grand less than they still owed on it, b/c it was that or bankruptcy b/c of the mess it put them in.)

Not to mention dealing with if nobody rents it, how long can you "float it" if you xfer and not sell, etc.

I would weigh and look at it all before you buy.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I'm not military but I am from NC. You do NOT want to buy a house in that area. It floods. Too much. I'm talking serious floods. With hog waste spills and all sorts of horrible get-screwed-by-home-owners-insurance stuff.

If you have pets, I can give you contact info for a very inexpensive boarding facility for hurricane evacuation. PM me and I can get your pet an emergency set-up inland.

The resell value of homes in the area is NOT good. They all get so much flood damage and have mold problems, no one wants to buy. Also, there is not a lot of infrastructure out there.

Quality renter's insurance. The high schools in the area have pretty good sports programs. North of the base is the better area for the kids.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Hey. PM me. My Brother was just transferred from there and his wife is waiting until the end of the school year to join him in KY. They are looking for renters. Has a fenced back yard, 3 bed rooms 2 bathsNot sure of the square footage. About 20 minutes from the base. Contact me and I will send you her info.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 9:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009