Making your own baby food? please explain

how do you do it ? when do you start giving ? what is it usually made? any advice would help ladies thanks

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 8:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got one of those baby food processors and would grind up bannanas, cooks peas, carrots, squash any vegatable cook them then grind them and serve them... i made all my daughters food and i believe that helped with her not being a picky eater now : )
    soccermommyash

Answer by soccermommyash at 8:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Here is a group for you :)
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/6923/
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• are the processors expensive? and r they easy to use and clean?
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 8:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I loved making my own babyfood! it saved a lot of money and was much healthier! one babyfood...bananas...you can simply mash up when ripe, for beginners add some water to make it a liquidy consistancy, experienced eaters you can just mash up and serve, for finger food you can slice and serve. veggies like sweet potato, you need to cook first, puree then serve. I used one of those $1 steamers. you put it over a pot, let the water steam through it, and wait till the sweet potato is mashed consistancy (takes about 45 mins). you puree it in a food processer ( I added the water I used to steam it with) let it cool a bit then serve! I used the ice cube tray method to store it. you pour the food in an ice cube tray, let it freeze, pop the cubes out, and store in a freezer bag. the cubes are good for about a month. each cube is about 1.5 servings, perfect amt. for a beginner.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• processors arent too expensive! you can find some between $20-$30. they are easy to clean and the parts are usually dishwasher safe! there are food mills you can travel with. but they require lots of work. constant grinding of the food. but cool to have on you when you eat out
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You technically don't NEED a processor. Most things you can just steam and mash with a fork, when they're ready. I say no sooner then 6 mos, even later then that is ok, but others will tell you different things.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I have a little mini food processor that my MIL gave me to use for garlic, herbs, etc. I'm planning on just using that. We also have one of those Magic Bullet things that should work fine, too.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I made a lot of my own food - - my son showed a CLEAR preference for the food I made over the jarred food we used for convenience when eating out. Steam or bake foods, then mash with a fork or use a food processor. If the consistency is too thick, you can add some breastmilk/formula to thin it out a bit.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• In my opinion you don't need to do that much unless you want to. http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I have a mini-food processor that I picked up at a garage sale for a couple of dollars; I had a baby food grinder that we used when we were out (I think Target has them for around $10.

Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2009