whats is going on here? will she be okay?

I went to the doctor yesterday and they said my baby is measuring at 29 weeks instead of 32 weeks, they are giving me and ultra sound to measure her from the inside, to double check. when i was about 25 weeks she was measuring at 24 weeks, im worried she isn't growing like she should be. her heart rate was normal. My doctor also said if babies are to small they have to take them out. im just concernced something is wrong. has anyone had this? what happend? and what is your opinion on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They may be concerned that the baby has IUGR (intra uterine growth retardation). They were concerned that my son had that. I had 9 ultrasounds that showed him being small for his gestational age. He was fine when he was born. Ultrasounds are often wrong when it comes to measurements.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I had this issue but my baby ended up with IUGR and I was induced at 36 weeks....google it if you haven't hear of it before (interuterine growth restriction)
    croneasm

Answer by croneasm at 9:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Oh and yes they will "encourage" you to have a c-section. I managed to delay them until I reached 40 wks but they were definately gunning for 37.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 9:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• First off all your baby is NOT necessarily measuring 3 weeks behind but your uterus is, at least today. It could be a bunch of things that have nothing to do with the baby... low amniotic fluid could be one of them, increase your liquid intake just in case. The more you drink the more your baby will pee and the more fluid you will have. It could have also been position... your baby could have been tucked back instead of resting towards your front.

Both my kids measured 3 weeks behind the ENTIRE pregnancy even though I was 100% sure on my conception date. But my doc doesnt order measurement u/s til the difference is 4 weeks
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 9:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• i agree that they are concerned about IUGR, and if you really did have that, it might be necessary to deliver early unfortunately. but i would definitely want to get a 2nd opinion unless you feel you can 100% trust your OB. and do a lot of your own research on IUGR and what might indicate that. i agree that ultrasounds and measurements can be way off so you will want to make sure you do your own research so you can make an informed decision. most likely they are just worrying you over nothing and once you have the ultrasound they will say all is fine. that is my hope for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Low amniotic fluid can be caused by premature aging placenta; not just lack of drinking water.
    Anonymous