having christmas at our house....is this wrong?

So every year for thanksgiving we have to drive 30 min to make our rounds @ each of our parents house in 2 different cities. Then every christmas eve we go to my parents then rush back home so my SO can get ready for work. And christmas day go to his parents. Both are 30 mins away or longer. This year we decided to have christmas at our house instead. We don't want to have to go back and forth for 2 days straight rushing around. Its our dd first christmas and we want to enjoy it here. But that would mean that everyone has to drive to us instead. Is this wrong that we will be making them come to us?oh and BTW my BIL and wife never make it to our functions because we are 'too far' but we always are expected and always do go to there functions. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• i don't think you are wrong to make this decision.

Just be understanding and don't be too hurt if some do not choose to make the same effort as you have in the past.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• No I think you are making a good decision for your family. Do what is best for them and you can't go wrong. People must learn to not be easily offended. Be sure to tell them exactly what you said here though...that you just want your family to be able to enjoy Chrismas without running around.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• No you are not wrong! You have your own family now and the grandparents should understand that. They had their time to shine now it's your turn. Just remember that they all may not come. As far as the BIL goes, if you feel up to going to their events so be it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to rush to their events. Relationships are a two way street. Give and take. It's human nature. Good Luck!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• This happened to us too and I was hoping it would be an easier solution. Just a heads up, it totally backfired. The two families didn't get along. I wish you luck.
    Anonymous

• Any family that wld not get along at Xmas is a disgrace to me! Suck it up already its one day out of your life.
    Anonymous

• That wasnt towards writer BTW! lol sorry
    Anonymous

• I combined 2 families at Christmas and it wound up being a blast. I think it sounds like a great idea. They probably won't want it to be a yearly thing, but the people who most need to be there will understand that it's a special Christmas this year.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think it's very nice that you open your home. If they don't come or appreciate the gesture then it's their loss

Answer by admckenzie at 9:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My family is about 1 hours away my brother lives in Texas, my other in Florida and my maternal grandma in Oklahoma and I am in Michigan though all of my DH family does live here. I would just enjoy each other! My Brother and his wife and DD take a two day trip to come visit.
    As for you opening you home it sounds like a way for everyone to be included without stressing your family out, they should understand and if they cannot that is there problem not yours.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 9:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2009