Is there a formula that is both dairy and soy free? BFing is not an option. :(

I am trying to find one for my friend who is struggling with her 3 week old's reflux. I know there is one....maybe it was prescription???

signaturemama

Asked by signaturemama at 9:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know there are hypoallergenic formulas and predigested formulas, but not sure on whether they're milk or soy based.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Elecare and Neocate are both milk and soy free. They are the ONLY ones that are. The other "hypoallergenic" ones are still milk/soy based but they are in broken down forms so many babies can tolerate them even with allergies. Typically a baby will start with one like Nutramagin or Alimentum, and if those don't work the only other option is Elecare or Neocate. Both are VERY expensive and aren't available in stores. You have to get it from a pharmacy (special order), or order it online. One can runs about $45 (small can). She can buy it off Ebay for much less though, or maybe get it through WIC if she qualifies. Not sure if WIC supplies those formulas though.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My son was on elecare, it has to be perscribed and we were lucky enough that our insurance covered it. Goats milk was our next option, you just have to supplement certain vitamins which is not hard at all and the fat content is also a little lower. There is a baby formula that comes just like normal formula thats goats milk. WIC didn't cover them in my county but it could be different else where with a doctors note maybe?
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We did start out using Similac Alimentum (and used it when we were waiting for our next elecare supply). Could only find it at Wal-mart here. I can't remember why we switched, he had a milk protein allergy.
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You may be able to make your own using goat milk. Contact a nutritionist or dietician.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2009