Any thoughts on Tom Coburn's move on the Senate floor today?

Just curious how everyone feels about him calling for a 767 page amendment to be read aloud on the Senate floor? Was it appropriate?
And if you don't think it was appropriate, if it was such a great amendment why did Bernie Sanders withdraw the amendment?

Does anyone really know what was in there? It sounds like it was nothing good since he withdrew it himself.

Thoughts? (not looking for bashing, I just don't get what was in there and why it shouldn't have been read aloud - since tax payers are footing the bills).

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• BTW - The whole "Dr. No is holding up the appropriations to the military" is CRAP!!! They can easily write a "bill" and get money to the troops at anytime. Dept. of Defense funding HAS NO BUSINESS being tied to a Healthcare "Reform" bill. This push is just a distraction and a way to place blame for lack of troop support onto the Republicans. Harry Reid should be ASHAMED of himself and his words. I don't know how he sleeps at night...
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think they should have to read EVERY SINGLE THING they are trying to pass on the floor. Bet THEN they become a WHOLE lot more concise and a whole lot less corrupt! AND we would at least KNOW that they know WHAT they are voting for or against! I think the single thing that pisses me off the most right now with all those nut cases up there is that they are voting in things they haven't even READ!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Oh, I forgot some links. unfortunately I am not getting much out of them. But here they are:

http://rawstory.com/2009/11/sestak-coburn-shameful/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12/16/senator-forces-clerk-read-page-amendment-aloud/

I know it's a fox news link.  I will look for a more "neutral" one in a min.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It will take 12 hours

by jamming up Senate business, Coburn's move prevents a vote on a funding bill for the Department of Defense. The current funding provision expires at midnight on Friday.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Sanders provided a summary of his amendment to colleagues: "This amendment would establish a single payer health insurance system that would cover every person legally residing in the United States. The single payer system would be regulated and funded by the federal government through a payroll tax and an income tax, but it would be administered by the states. It would replace the coverage and revenue titles of the current bill, but it would leave in place most of the provisions in the quality, prevention, and workforce titles of the bill. This amendment starts from the premise that health care is a human right, and that every citizen, rich or poor, should have access to health care, just as every citizen has access to the fire department, the police, or public schools."

sweet-a-kins

• QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Don't you find it a bit sneaky to put an amendment that would demand a single payer system for health care into a military spending bill?  Considering the amendment would cost exponentially more than the military spending?  Did he withdraw it to keep the process for military spending on track? 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yes I heard and its great..the reason for it..angry Americans hes been hearing alot from them as have all the other repub senators..

Yes Quinn it is sneaky and dispicable imo...same crap the dems pulled with the hate crimes bill
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• One of the articles had stated that the deadline for the military spending bill is Friday night. Did he pull it because it would kill the whole bill, or because he didn't want it read aloud? I guess that's really what my question is.

And I agree tn, I don't like that it was put into the military spending bill. It seems very sneaky indeed.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think spending bills should be stand alone. They shouldn't be allowed to put anything else in. I think defense spending should stand altogether on its own. It would get real clear real fast who supports the military and who doesn't. It would also make it real clear real fast what that money isbeing spent on.

Gee sweet, I'll bet you are in a sweat! The defense bill had a single payer system amended to it! LOL You would have support the military to get the "free" healthcare!!!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2009