How do I get my 23 month old to lose the bottle?

WendyAReynolds

Asked by WendyAReynolds at 9:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son got his bottle taken away at 20 months, he was biting the teeth. He only used it at night but used a sippy cup during the day. We dumped his bottles and started giving him milk in his new cup with a straw attached to it. He loved it and never looked back. Good luck
    laika

Answer by laika at 9:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• i actually took my son off the bottle at 15 months when he really started getting a mouth full of teeth. For me his teeth were my biggest concern. I know that a childs teeth can be effected a great deal from sucking a nipple. Its really not that bad. I simply gave him a nuke sippy cup and after 3 days he was completely adjusted. Just dont give in to the childs tears when they get to wanting the bottle... Its not that bad and they will get used to it eventually. Be persistent. Good luck mama

31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Throw them away and never look back!!! He or she will adapt.
    nickynova

Answer by nickynova at 9:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You just take them away. Throw them all away and do NOT give them back. It will take a couple of days of crying, but he will get over it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I wish I knew...I have been trying so hard to get rid of my son's bottle, but I keep giving in. I feel terrible when he yells for his bottle and cries. So we usually end up giving in. Any ideas, I would be extremely grateful to hear them. My son is 21 months.
    EddiesMommy712

Answer by EddiesMommy712 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Well, simply put, if you don't give the bottle to your child, they won't use it. So, you are really the one in control of the situation. Sometimes you just have to stick to your guns and say no. Tears may flow, but they will move on. Every time you give in though all you are teaching them is that if they throw a big enough fit they get their way. And believe me ~ 10 yrs down the road it won't be any better! LOL
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Take it away
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2009