Japan's Cash for Clunkers slap in America's face or smart economics?

For those of you that are aware of Japan's cash for clunkers program that will not allow US vehicles to be allowed to be part of the program what are your thoughts? I find it a rather smart thing for Japan to do, if America wasn't so darn silly they would have done the same thing, not allowing the funds to purchase foreign vehicles. Of course Americans bought up foreign makers cars, they were 50% of all the cars purchased under the cash for clunkers programs. Did anyone here actually purchase one of the 50% of them cars or trucks?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 9:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My neighbors did... 2 Hondas, a Toyota and a Nissan... Not one American made car in the group. And this is was a HUGE GM town...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Well what would we buy then LOL. Honestly it all ends up in foreign countries in the end
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 9:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Most Japanese cars sold in the US are made in the US. It's the American cars that are made in Mexico. If you bought a Japanese care you were supporting more American workers than if you bought GM.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My hubby is the car guy. He says NO AMERICAN. Maybe next time we get a BRAND NEW ONE....We have a Nissan and a mitsubishi. When we got the Nissan a month ago I asked the mechanic there about American cars and he said...you don't want a used American!!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I should add by Uncle just bought a new Chevy Malibu and loves it

I have NO idea about cars so...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I kept my clunker, lol. My hubs is the car person. He has always been a Chevy man. But, he said that he would now consider a Ford (if we can ever afford a new car...) and as long as gov't has its hand in GM, we ain't buying any. I have to admit, that I believe that Ford is doing something right, since they are making a profit, and they refused any bail-out funding. I have a new respect for this American Company.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• OK, I'm a little slow tonight. Japan is doing the cash-for-clunkers, but American cars are not eligible??? Why is that? I remember that we wanted to do something like that, I can't remember what exactly, but we caught holy heck from everyone in the world because we wanted to limit the program or whatever it was to American made product only, they all said that we could not do that. So why can Japan do it? Or am I missing something altogether?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• That's because Japan KNOWS the majority of American "made" cars suck! LOL Americans buy foreign cars because overall they are made better and are much more dependable! We're a Nissan family--only brand my husband and I have owned for the past 20+ years--after owning Chryslers, Fords, and GM cars/trucks.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:49 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Maybe the American cars are not clunkers? maybe its a compliment!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Anon, its more like they don't want Japanese buying American cars, because they KNOW they are Clunkers.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2009