Christmas or Winter crafts for the kids to make?

I have 2 children, a 6 year old and a 2 year old. I want to keep the 6 year old busy while he is on christmas break, and I wanted to make some things with him at home that I can include the 2 year old too. Does anyone haev any ideas of things to do?

mamagoose718

Asked by mamagoose718 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• You can decorate some ornaments. You will need shatterproof ornaments (Wal-Mart has 12 for $5), glue, water, glitter, and a paintbrush. Mix 1 part water with 1 part glue. The 6 year old can make a design on the ornament by using a paintbrush and the glue mixture. Next shake glitter onto the design. Depending on your 2 year old's abilities, they may be able to design their own or you can make a design and then have the 2 year old shake the glitter onto the ornament.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• There are lots of ideas on The Crafty Crow... it's a great resource.
    toola

Answer by toola at 9:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• paper snowflakes

cottonball snowmen - include pipercleaners or branches, mini pom poms, etc to complete it

Anonymous

• Look into clay. There are hundreds of recipes for homemade clays/doughs for making ornaments and other projects, and it is fantastic for both ages. My kids also worked with Fimo clay at that age, but that's because I had it around and did a lot with it myself. They can make ornaments with cookie cutters, freehand stuff, impressions....handprints make great gifts for grandparents, as would a plate of cookie ornaments. When my daughter was about four, I made this large form out of dough and had my son imprint it with his hands, then baked and sealed it. She used it for years (because his hands were so much bigger than hers) to help her paint her own nails, because it was something she really wanted to learn to do. It also had a hole for the bottle. Also search for sites geared to giving teachers ideas for the early years, There is a wealth of resources on those sites.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2009