weight loss while breastfeeding

Dd is 4 months old and ebf yet I still have a spare tire so to speak. My question is this I know you need more calories when bf but how little can I eat before I hurt my milk? I am thinking of lowering my food from 4 meals (and they are all big sized meals) and snacks all day in between to 3 meals a day plus two snacks and no food from 7pm til 8 am. Is that too little though? I know I will always be hungry and will fill that with water which I'm not currently drinking now. Is this ok and if not what would be a more healthy way o doing loosing the weight?

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can actually eat a lot less than that. If you have extra lbs to lose, you dont need those extra calories they always tell you to eat. I ate very little for a week and noticed no difference in my supply. Try to aim for 1200 calories a day. It may seem like a lot, but foods add up quickly.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you are over eating. 4 large meals and snacks is more food than what you need to be eating. For a EBFing mom, she only needs about 500 calories extra a day. But if you are over weight to begin with you can get by with 250 unless you are eating high calorie high sugar foods then that is the problem. Then you are missing all the nutrients. Eating 6 small meals a day and healthy meals and snacks should produce results. And by small I mean portion sizes that fit in the palm of your hand. So if it's dinner, a piece of chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans all about the size of your palm is good. If you are hungry a half a BP & J is a good snack. A breakfast wrap with 2 scrambled eggs, a little bit of cheese and 2 strips of bacon in a tortilla wrap is really good and feeling. Soda's also count for calorie intake, if you drink them, limit to one a day.. Fruits and veggies without the dip is also good..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I was down to my pre-baby weight after about 3 weeks and now at 4 months, I've lost another 8 pounds. I usually eat a light breakfast (toast and PB or cereal), a mid-size lunch, and then dinner (usually not huge) and then I sometimes snack during the day. I drink probably 4-6 big glasses of water every day. Having said that, though, I still have a little pudge in the middle. That will probably take some serious work to get rid of, which frankly, I'm too lazy to do. I mean, I'll exercise - walking, jogging, etc., but I'm not about to do anything crazy to get rid of it. I just don't care that much.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You only need an extra 500 calories anyway, which is actually very little if you look at labels. Usually as long as you are drinking plenty of water your milk supply will be fine (people in third world countries BF and they don't eat much). You do need to make sure you're eating just enough calories or your body won't lose weight. Just stay on that fine line. lol Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Honestly I exclusively breastfeed my son and eat usually 1 meal a day and maybe a couple snacks here and there. Not because I choose to but because its usually all I have time for and I'm not very hungry during the day anways because I'm so busy. I have PLENTY of milk and my son is in the 90th percentile for weight so in my situation at least, I'm probably not eating nearly as many calories as they recommend and we seem to be doing alright...so try cutting back on the food if you want to lose some weight and see how it works for you. You can always up your calorie intake again if it seems to be negatively affecting you.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• 1800 calories daily is what you NEED. Weight watchers has a great program for nursing moms.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Focus more on what you are eating and doing during the day. I would start with simple changes:
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 AM on Dec. 17, 2009